Braves fall to Beaches in overtime
KITCHENER – The Kitchener-Waterloo Braves yielded a pair of goals in overtime as they dropped an 11-10 decision to Toronto Beaches in Ontario Junior A Lacrosse League play Thursday at Kinsmen Arena.
The Braves led the match 6-2 with a minute to go in the second period following a four-goal outburst in a span of four minutes and five seconds.
K-W was up 2-0 at the end of the first period and 6-3 after the second. However, Beaches scored six times in the third, including twice 20 seconds apart to wrap up regulation-time scoring with about seven and a half minutes to go in the period.
The Braves scored first in OT at 2:33, but Beaches came back with two goals by Tristan Hanna to win, the second one coming just before the final buzzer.
Tye Kurtz, Scott DelZotto and Daire Newbrough scored twice each for the Braves while single goals were added by Brody Mclean, Jake Stevens, Kyle Driscoll and Reed Kurtz. Spencer Pyke had three assists while Reed Kurtz had two and Tye Kurtz, DelZotto, Quinn Commandant, Mackenzie Iacocca, Devyn Orpana, Stevens, Dawson Bolger, Lucas Snider and Cole Martin had one apiece.
Mitch Gustavsen, Hanna, Corson Kealey and Brady Kearnan hit for two goals apiece for Beaches while Owen Grant, Matthew Duncan and Nathan Grenon also scored. Hanna, Taggart Clark and Kearnan collected two assists apiece while single assists were awarded to Josh Dawick, Nick Ellerton, Jackson Nishimura, Colton Gaunt, Duncan, Mike Byrne, Marcus Minichiello, David Anderson, Kealey and Skylar Thomas.
The Braves outshot Beaches 50-47 and both teams had a single power-play goal, Beaches on seven power plays and K-W on five.
Cole Martin took the loss in net for the Braves. He made 36 saves while winning netminder Bailey Brown made 40 saves for Beaches.
The result leaves Beaches seventh in the 11-team league at 8-10-0 and the Braves ninth at 6-11-0.
The Braves have three games left in their regular season. They’re to play the Peterborough Lakers (2-13-0) at Peterborough Monday at 8 p.m., host the St. Catharines Athletics (12-5-0) Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at the Kinsmen Arena and play the Six Nations Arrows (7-8-0) July 8 at 7 p.m. at the Iroquois Lacrosse Arena in Hagersville.
Beaches 11 Braves 10 (OT)
1. Kitchener-Waterloo, Stevens (unassisted) 15:09
2. Kitchener-Waterloo, Mclean (R.Kurtz, DelZotto) 17:09
Penalties: Pattyn KW (interference), 1:35; Conley Tor (wrap around), 2:19; Grenon Tor (tripping), 12:59.
3. Toronto, Grenon (Dawick, Kearnan) 6:29
4. Toronto, Kearnan (Clark, Nishimura) 6:47
5. Kitchener-Waterloo, DelZotto (Pyke, R.Kurtz) 14:46 pp
6. Kitchener-Waterloo, T.Kurtz (unassisted) 17:13
7. Kitchener-Waterloo, Newbrough (Stevens, Martin) 18:11 sh
8. Kitchener-Waterloo, Driscoll (Snider, Commandant) 18:51 sh
9. Toronto, Grant (unassisted) 19:28 pp
Penalties: Bench KW (too many men), 0:43; Thomas Tor (slashing), 4:56; DelZotto KW (delay of game), 5:29; Pyke KW (illegal cross checking major), 8:14; Ellerton Tor (checking from behind double minor), 13:27; Iacocca KW (slashing), 17:38.
10. Kitchener-Waterloo, Newbrough (unassisted) 1:44
11. Toronto, Kealey (Duncan, Hanna) 2:11
12. Toronto, Duncan (Minichiello, Gaunt) 3:50
13. Toronto, Gustavsen (unassisted) 3:55
14. Kitchener-Waterloo, DelZotto (Pyke, Bolger) 4:29
15. Toronto, Gustavsen (Kealey, Kearnan) 9:08
16. Kitchener-Waterloo, R.Kurtz (T.Kurtz, Pyke) 10:22
17. Toronto, Kearnan (Hanna, Anderson) 12:11
18. Toronto, Kealey (Thomas) 12:31
Penalty: Newbrough KW (checking from behind double minor), 13:48.
19. Kitchener-Waterloo, T.Kurtz (Orpana, Iacocca) 2:33
20. Toronto, Hanna (Clark) 7:09
21. Toronto, Hanna (Byrne, Ellerton) 10:00
Shots on Goal
Goalies: B.Brown (W, 50 shots-40 saves), Toronto; Martin (L, 47 shots-36 saves), Kitchener-Waterloo.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Toronto 1-7; Kitchener-Waterloo 1-5.
- Guelph Sports Journal