Five quick goals in second pace Wilmot over Thistles
ELORA – Five goals, including three on their power play, in less than five minutes in the second period sparked the Wilmot Wild to a 15-9 victory over the Fergus Thistles in the Ontario junior C lacrosse league season opener for both teams Saturday at the Elora and District Community Centre.
Wilmot led 4-1 at the end of the first period, but the Thistles cut the gap to a single goal by scoring twice in the opening minute of the second. However, Wilmot responded with five goals in four minutes and 55 seconds to extend the gap to six goals. Fergus reduced the margin to thee goals at 10-7 by the end of the second before the Wild opened the third with four consecutive goals to put the game away.
Brett Harrison had three goals and three assists for the Thistles while single goals were scored by Justin Beaulieu, Trent Spear, Adam Lantz, Scott Stovel, Nick Aitchison and Logan Cameron. Lantz collected five assists while Spear had three, Beaulieu had two and Kyle Deitweiler, McCaiden Dixon and Stovel each had one.
Kent Radbourne connected for four goals for Wilmot while Sam Dramnitzke had a hat trick. Tyler Nagy, Tyler Verutis and Luke Finoro each scored twice and Ryan Smart and Hayden Berger rounded out the scoring with single goals. Finoro picked up four assists while Dramnitzke and Verutis had three each, Radbourne, Matt Wyman, Colten Besse, Brett Lebold and Dylan Kuntz each had two and Cody Hudson, Nagy, Adam Zister and goalkeeper Andrew Chenier had one.
The Thistles outshot Wilmot 34-32 and went 4-for-14 on their power play while the Wild went 5-for-8.
Noah Nixon was tagged with the loss in the Fergus net as he yielded 12 goals before being replaced by Tyson Reeves. Chenier had the win for Wilmot.
Next game for the Thistles is slated for Wednesday when they’re to play the Halton Hills Bulldogs (0-0-0) at Georgetown. Game time is 8 p.m.
Wild 15 Thistles 9
1. Wilmot, Radbourne (Finoro) 1:15
2. Wilmot, Dramnitzke (Radbourne, Hudson) 5:40
3. Fergus, Beaulieu (Spear, Lantz) 14:14
4. Wilmot, Radbourne (Finoro, Wyman) 15:07
5. Wilmot, Nagy (Besse) 19:09 sh
Penalties: Verutis Wilm (high sticking), 7:38; White Ferg (holding), 8:46; Dixon Ferg (tripping), 9:15; Schmitt Wilm (holding), 10:07; Lebold Wilm (cross checking), 18:04.
6. Fergus, Spear (Beaulieu) 0:24
7. Fergus, Harrison (Deitweiler) 0:43
8. Wilmot, Verutis (Nagy, Dramnitzke) 3:04
9. Wilmot, Radbourne (Verutis) 5:17 pp
10. Wilmot, Smart (Zister, Wyman) 5:35 pp
11. Wilmot, Finoro (Besse) 7:10 pp
12. Wilmot, Verutis (Dramnitzke, Lebold) 7:59
13. Fergus, Lantz (Dixon, Harrison) 11:40
14. Fergus, Harrison (Lantz, Stovel) 13:36 pp
15. Fergus, Stovel (Spear, Lantz) 16:10 pp
16. Wilmot, Finoro (Radbourne) 16:27 pp
17. Fergus, Aitchison (Harrison, Spear) 16:53
Penalties: Bauman Ferg (cross checking), 4:14; White Ferg (unsportsmanlike conduct), Swanston Ferg (unsportsmanlike conduct bench minor), 4:56; Harrison Ferg (slashing), Besse Wilm (roughing), 8:42; Lebold Wilm (holding), 12:40; Besse Wilm (cross checking), 13:16; Lebold Wilm (interference), 14:19; Stovel Ferg (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Besse Wilm (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Kuntz Wilm (cross checking), 16:10; Schmitt Wilm (checking from behind), 18:30.
18. Wilmot, Dramnitzke (Verutis, Lebold) 2:52
19. Wilmot, Berger (Kuntz, Dramnitzke) 3:28
20. Wilmot, Radbourne (Verutis, Finoro) 5:20 pp
21. Wilmot, Dramnitzke (Kuntz, Finoro) 6:10
22. Fergus, Cameron (Lantz, Harrison) 8:14 pp
23. Fergus, Harrison (Beaulieu, Lantz) 9:40 pp
24. Wilmot, Nagy (Chenier) 14:36
Penalties: Schmitt Wilm (checking from behind), 0:30; McLeod Ferg (interference), 4:19; Ferg (bench/coach game misconduct), 5:03; Berger Wilm (unsportsmanlike conduct bench minor), Bench Wilm (unsportsmanlike conduct game misconduct), 8:00; Kuntz Wilm (high sticking), 9:28; Berger Wilm (high sticking), 15:12; White Ferg (hooking), 17:13.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Chenier (W, 34 shots-25 saves), Wilmot; Nixon (L, 45:03, 23 shots-11 saves), Reeves (14:57, 9 shots-6 saves), Fergus.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Wilmot 5-8; Fergus 4-14.
- Guelph Sports Journal