Guelph Regals trampled by Wallaceburg
WALLACEBURG – The Guelph Regals surrendered 13 consecutive goals in a 19-7 loss to the Wallaceburg Red Devils in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Sunday at the Wallaceburg Memorial Arena.
The hosts led 4-2 with just over four minutes to go in the first period, but were up 17-2 when the scoring spree ended just past the midway point of the third. Wallaceburg led 5-2 at the end of the first and 12-2 after the second.
Jayden Bushey struck for a hat trick for the Regals while Liam Holwell scored twice and Shane Halliwell, on a penalty shot, and Reed Kurtz also scored. Jean-Luc Vereecke assisted on three of the goals and Halliwell, Kurtz and Bushey each had two assists and Cole Martin had one.
Kyle Dawson had five goals for Wallaceburg and was followed by Marshall Powless with four, Tyden Hill, Owen Martin and Jordan Goddard with two each and Tanner Cole, Vern Hill, Carter Hastings and Ryan Noel with one each. Powless had six assists, Goddard and Cole four each, Dawson three, Parker Gilhuly, Riley Roe, Aaron Underwood and Hastings two each and Brendan Johnston, Tanner Jonathan and Bailey Skye one each.
Chris Wood started in net for the Regals and he was tagged with the loss after allowing 15 goals on 47 shots. Cole Martin relieved early in the third and gave up four goals on 12 shots. Cecil Jacobs stopped 47 of 54 shots to get the win for Wallaceburg.
The loss drops the Regals to 3-4-0 while Wallaceburg improves to 6-1-0.
After five consecutive road games, the Regals get a pair of home games as they’re to host the Owen Sound North Stars (2-5-0) Friday at 8 p.m. and Elora Mohawks (6-0-0) Saturday at 7 p.m. Both games are to be played at the Victoria Road arena.
Red Devils 19 Regals 7
1. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Powless, Gilhuly) 2:13
2. Wallaceburg, Powless (Goddard, Roe) 5:18
3. Guelph, Holwell (Vereecke) 6:07
4. Wallaceburg, Powless (Cole, Gilhuly) 11:11 pp
5. Wallaceburg, T.Hill (Cole) 15:25
6. Guelph, Bushey (Vereecke, Halliwell) 15:55
7. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Goddard) 17:49
Penalties: Hitchcock Gue (slashing), 10:44; Daugherty Wallace (illegal cross checking), 16:41; Holwell Gue (illegal cross checking), 17:32.
8. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Roe, Powless) 5:09 pp
9. Wallaceburg, Powless (Dawson, Goddard) 6:30
10. Wallaceburg, Cole (unassisted) 11:59
11. Wallaceburg, Martin (unassisted) 12:09
12. Wallaceburg, V.Hill (Dawson, Powless) 12:34
13. Wallaceburg, Martin (Underwood) 18:35
14. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Hastings, Powless) 19:34
Penalties: V.Hill Wallace (high sticking), 0:52; Johnston Wallace (holding), 2:37; Sanders Gue (holding), 4:50; Burke Gue (unsportsmanlike conduct), 11:36; Roe Wallace (roughing), 11:36; Hastings Wallace (slashing), 17:07; Burke Gue (illegal cross checking), 17:47.
15. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Powless) 3:32
16. Wallaceburg, Hastings (Goddard, Johnston) 3:56
17. Wallaceburg, Goddard (Powless, Jonathan) 5:23
18. Wallaceburg, Powless (Dawson, Hastings) 6:07
19. Wallaceburg, Noel (Skye, Cole) 8:55
20. Guelph, Bushey (Vereecke, Martin) 10:23
21. Guelph, Bushey (Halliwell, Kurtz) 13:37
22. Guelph, Holwell (Bushey, Kurtz) 14:47
23. Wallaceburg, Goddard (Cole) 15:39
24. Wallaceburg, T.Hill (Underwood) 17:50
25. Guelph, Halliwell 18:30 ps
26. Guelph, Kurtz (Bushey) 19:08 pp
Penalties: T.Hill Wallace (roughing), Kurtz Gue (roughing), 5:31; Roe Wallace (illegal cross checking), 12:26; Johnston Wallace (roughing), Webb Gue (roughing), 13:09; TenEycke Gue (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Jonathan Wallace (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), 14:34; T.Hill Wallace (slashing), 18:43.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Wood (L, 45:50, 47 shots-32 saves), Martin (14:10, 12 shots-8 saves), Guelph; Jacobs (W, 54 shots-47 saves), Wallaceburg.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 1-6; Wallaceburg 2-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal