Mohawks fade, Hamilton rallies to tie series
HAMILTON – The Elora Mohawks squandered a four-goal lead as the Hamilton Bengals rallied for an 11-9 victory Monday night at the Dave Andreychuk Arena to square their Ontario junior B Western Conference lacrosse quarter-final playoff series at a win apiece.
Game 3 of the best-of-five series is slated for Tuesday night at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex in Fergus.
Monday, the Mohawks led 4-0 at the end of the first period and 5-1 early in the second before the host Bengals struck for seven goals in a span of 10 minutes and 40 seconds. There was also an Elora goal in that time, but Hamilton led 8-6 at the end of the second.
Elora came back to tie the score in the third, but two goals in the final four minutes of the period gave Hamilton the win.
Hamilton outshot the Mohawks 56-41 and went 2-for-5 on its power play while Elora was scoreless on three power plays.
Klayton Hoelscher had a pair of goals for the Mohawks while Dawson Bolger, Ryan Buller, Eric Egan, Jack Francis, Cody Stannard, Hyatt Welsh and Kurtis Woodland added single goals. Egan, Hoelscher and Stannard each had four assists while Matt Humphrey had two and Kevin Hutchison, Blake Lewis and Ryan Mueller had one each.
Sam English and Jordan Gillis scored three times apiece for Hamilton while Tanner Brenneke had two goals and Trevor Barrett, Yvon Bolduc and Sam Gower had one each. Bolduc had five assists while Barrett assisted on three of the goals. Brenneke, English, Luke Robinson and Dylan Sprentz each had two assists and single assists were awarded to Gillis, Peter Masters, Greg Morrisette and Josh Wright.
Landon Kells started in net for the Mohawks. He was replaced by Humphrey at 16:47 of the second period after Hamilton’s eighth goal and Humphrey was charged with the loss. Kells made 32 saves and Humphrey 13.
Dylan Sprentz picked up the win in net for the Bengals. He made 32 saves.
Game time for Game 3 is 8 p.m.
Game 4 is scheduled for Thursday at 8 p.m. at Hamilton.
If the series goes its five-game limit, the fifth and deciding game is to be played at Fergus Sunday at 8 p.m.
Bengals 11 Mohawks 9
1. Elora, Stannard (Egan, Hoelscher) 4:14
2. Elora, Woodland (Stannard, Hoelscher) 9:40
3. Elora, Welsh (Egan, Stannard) 16:43
4. Elora, Hoelscher (Stannard, Egan) 19:37
Penalty: McKenzie Elora (slashing), 13:21.
5. Hamilton, Gower (Sprentz) 1:26
6. Elora, Hoelscher (Stannard, Hutchison) 1:51
7. Hamilton, Brenneke (Barrett, Bolduc) 6:07
8. Hamilton, English (Brenneke, Bolduc) 8:30
9. Elora, D.Bolger (Hoelscher, Mueller) 9:03
10. Hamilton, Barrett (Bolduc, Wright) 10:25
11. Hamilton, English (Brenneke) 11:31 pp
12. Hamilton, Gillis (Robinson, Bolduc) 12:01
13. Hamilton, English (Barrett, Robinson) 14:40 pp
14. Hamilton, Brenneke (Barrett, Gillis) 16:47
Penalties: Pongetti Ham (instigator major, fighting major, fighting game misconduct, two unsportsmanlike conduct game misconducts), McKenzie Elora (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), 0:03; Buller Elora (checking from behind double minor), 1:17; Francis Elora (illegal cross checking), 10:52; Bench Elora (too many men), 13:40; Morrisette Ham (interference), 18:01.
15. Elora, Buller (Hoelscher, Egan) 0:51
16. Elora, Egan (Humphrey) 5:37
17. Hamilton, Gillis (English, Bolduc) 6:15
18. Elora, Francis (Lewis, Humphrey) 7:57 sh
19. Hamilton, Gillis (English, Morrisette) 16:23
20. Hamilton, Bolduc (Masters, Sprentz) 18:04
Penalty: O.Ristov Elora (high sticking), 7:24.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Kells (40 shots-32 saves), Humphrey (16:47 of second, L, 16 shots-13 saves), Elora; Sprentz (W, 41 shots-32 saves), Hamilton.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 0-3; Hamilton 2-5.
- Guelph Sports Journal