Regals beaten by penalty shot in overtime
LONDON – A goal on a penalty shot with eight seconds to go in overtime gave the London Blue Devils a 10-9 victory over the Guelph Regals in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Thursday night at the Lambeth arena.
London was awarded the penalty shot after the Regals were called for too many players on the floor. Ontario Lacrosse Association rules state that a penalty shot will be awarded when the defensive team is called for too many players on the floor when there is insufficient time to serve the penalty.
The Regals had led 8-7 in the third period of the game between two previously winless teams and they also scored the first goal of the 10-minute overtime period. However, the Blue Devils scored a power-play goal with 7:18 left in regulation time to force the overtime and a shorthanded goal just under a minute and a half after the Regals had scored their overtime goal.
London led 2-1 at the end of the first period and 6-5 after the second and the teams were deadlocked 8-8 at the end of regulation time.
The Regals outshot London 62-47 and went 2-for-7 on their power play while London scored on both of its power plays.
Riley Matthews led the Regals with three goals and two assists while Sam Shaw scored twice. Single goals were added by Cole Elford, Carter TenEycke, Quenton Begin and Cohen Campbell. Zach Pollock had three assists while Dybowski had two and Ben Heidecker, Mitch Taylor, Liam Holwell and Jack Burke had one apiece.
Pollock, Shaw and Dybowski were each playing their first game of the season with the Regals.
Quincy Abram, Aden Antone and Ben Brown each had a hat trick for London while Greg Elijah-Brown scored the other goal. Sean Campbell and Greg Elijah-Brown each had three assists while Ron Elijah-Brown and winning goalkeeper Chris Wood had two each and Ben Brown and Blake Goris had one apiece.
Brady Wilson took the loss in net for the Regals.
The loss was the fourth in as many league outings for the Regals while London improved to 1-8-0.
Next up for the Regals is a game Sunday at 7 p.m. at the West End arena against the Orangeville Northmen (5-1-0).
Blue Devils 10 Regals 9 (OT)
1. London, Abram (G.Elijah-Brown, Campbell) 2:56 pp
2. London, Abram (B.Brown) 12:03 sh
3. Guelph, Elford (unassisted) 16:51
Penalties: Shaw Gue (checking in the crease), 2:42; Pattyn Ldn (high sticking), 11:25.
4. London, Antone (R.Elijah-Brown) 0:49
5. London, Brown (R.Elijah-Brown, Wood) 5:17
6. Guelph, TenEycke (Matthews, Heidecker) 5:52
7. London, Antone (Campbell) 6:22
8. Guelph, Shaw (unassisted) 9:23
9. Guelph, Matthews (Pollock, Dybowski) 10:45
10. London, Antone (G.Elijah-Brown) 14:59
11. Guelph, Shaw (Taylor) 17:35
Penalties: Goris Ldn (illegal cross checking), 2:17; R.Elijah-Brown Ldn (checking from behind), 9:23; Pattyn Ldn (slashing), 20:00.
12. London, B.Brown (Wood) 0:50 sh
13. Guelph, Matthews (Dybowski, Holwell) 1:41 pp
14. Guelph, Begin (Burke) 4:40
15. Guelph, Matthews (Pollock) 6:14 pp
16. London, Abram (G.Elijah-Brown, Campbell) 12:42 pp
Penalties: Bench Ldn (too many men), 6:01; Shaw Gue (slashing), 12:28.
17. Guelph, Campbell (Matthews, Pollock) 1:08
18. London, B.Brown (Goris) 2:30 sh
19. London, G.Elijah-Brown (penalty shot) 9:52
Penalties: J.Brown Ldn (tripping), 1:58; R.Elijah-Brown Ldn (high sticking major), Burke Gue (roughing), 5:24; J.Brown Ldn (delay of game), 7:59; Bench Gue (too many men), 9:52.
Goals by Period
Shots on Goal: Guelph 62; London 47.
Goalies: Wilson (L), Guelph; Wood (W), London.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 2-7; London 2-2.
Referees: Macdonald, NA.
- Guelph Sports Journal