Regals topple Welland in overtime
WELLAND – The Guelph Regals struck for a pair of goals in overtime to sneak by the Welland Generals 15-13 in Ontario junior B lacrosse play Sunday at the Welland Arena.
The overtime goals allowed the Regals to win a game they led 13-8 with 11 minutes left in regulation time.
The game was actually one of streaky teams as neither the Regals nor Generals could hold on to any momentum they built.
Guelph scored four goals in the final five minutes of the first period to lead 4-1. Welland scored three in a row to tie it in the second before the teams traded goals during the remainder of a period that Guelph led 7-6 at its completion.
The teams were tied 8-8 just over three minutes into the third when the Regals surged ahead with five goals in four and a half minutes. But Welland came back to tie it and force overtime.
Reed Kurtz and Gavin Lang scored in overtime to give Guelph the win.
Shane Halliwell led the Regals with four goals while Kurtz, Jayden Bushey and Liam Holwell each added hat tricks. Cohen Campbell and Lang also scored. Bushey, Halliwell and Kurtz each had four assists while Campbell had three and Zach Sanders, Luke Kivell, Holwell and Lang each had one.
Talon Badawey and Nick Villella had hat tricks for Welland while Peter Hrynuik and Mitchell Geoffroy scored twice each and single goals were netted by Gavin McGregor, Bailey Fournier-Higgins and Max Brook. Fournier-Higgins picked up five assists and Badawey and Villella had four each and McGregor had there. Getting one apiece were Hrynuik, Sebastian Reynolds, Ayden Dawn, goalkeeper Justin Rombough, Geoffroy and Justin Porga.
Cole Martin picked up the win in the Guelph net as he made 57 saves while Rombough took the loss with 48 saves in the Welland net.
The game featured 111 minutes in penalties including five misconducts that accounted for 10 minutes apiece in the penalty totals. There were also three major penalties. In all, the Generals were whistled for 70 minutes in penalties.
Guelph went 2-for-4 on its power play while Welland went 3-for-7.
The result leaves the Regals at 2-2-0 and Welland at 1-3-0.
The game was the second of five consecutive road games for the Regals. They’re to play the Orangeville Northmen (1-1-0) Tuesday at 8 p.m., Point Edward Pacers (0-2-0) Saturday at 4:30 p.m. and Wallaceburg Red Devils (3-1-0) Sunday at 3 p.m.
Regals 15 Generals 13
1. Welland, Hrynuik (Fournier-Higgins, Badawey) 8:58 pp
2. Guelph, Kurtz (Sanders, Bushey) 15:09 pp
3. Guelph, Halliwell (unassisted) 15:50
4. Guelph, Bushey (unassisted) 19:24
5. Guelph, Bushey (Halliwell, Kurtz) 19:34
Penalties: Holwell Gue (interference), 8:04; Stevens Well (interference), Parker Well (unsportsmanlike conduct), Kivell Gue (unsportsmanlike conduct), 14:41; Webb Gue (roughing), 19:50.
6. Welland, Badawey (Villella) 3:36
7. Welland, McGregor (Hrynuik, Fournier-Higgins) 12:27 pp
8. Welland, Geoffroy (McGregor, Badawey) 13:00 pp
9. Guelph, Halliwell (Kivell, Bushey) 13:22
10. Welland, Badawey (Fournier-Higgins) 14:08
11. Guelph, Bushey (Halliwell, Kurtz) 15:44 pp
12. Guelph, Campbell (Holwell) 18:28
13. Welland, Villella (Reynolds, Dawn) 18:33
Penalties: McGrath Gue (high sticking), 4:25; Reynolds Well (slashing), 8:35; Lang Gue (roughing), 11:38; Sanders Gue (interference), 12:16; Schoeman Well (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Dawn Well (roughing), Parker Well (roughing), Kivell Gue (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Webb Gue (roughing), Burke Gue (roughing), 13:40; Stevens Well (unsportsmanlike conduct misconduct), Otto Well (roughing), Stone Well (roughing), Holwell Gue (roughing), 15:21; Villella Well (holding), Burke Gue (slashing), 19:53.
14. Welland, Fournier-Higgins (Rombough) 0:42
15. Guelph, Halliwell (Bushey) 2:52
16. Welland, Hrynuik (McGregor, Villella) 3:02
17. Guelph, Holwell (Campbell, Lang) 4:13
18. Guelph, Kurtz (unassisted) 6:11
19. Guelph, Halliwell (Kurtz) 6:16
20. Guelph, Holwell (Campbell) 7:39
21. Guelph, Holwell (Kurtz, Bushey) 8:43
22. Welland, Badawey (Fournier-Higgins, Geoffroy) 9:19
23. Welland, Brook (Villella, Badawey) 9:51
24. Welland, Villella (McGregor, Porga) 11:10
25. Welland, Villella (Badawey, Fournier-Higgins) 11:43
26. Welland, Geoffroy (Villella) 16:03
Penalty: Burke Gue (tripping), 12:42.
27. Guelph, Kurtz (Halliwell) 5:27
28. Guelph, Lang (Campbell, Halliwell) 8:54 en
Penalties: McGregor Well (slashing), 2:14; Lang Gue (checking in the crease), 6:39; Stone Well (checking from behind major, checking from behind game misconduct), 9:21; Otto Well (abuse of officials misconduct), 9:26; Parker Well (slashing), Webb Gue (facemask), 9:47.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Martin (W, 70 shots-57 saves), Guelph; Rombough (L, 62 shots-48 saves), Welland.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 2-4; Welland 3-7.
- Guelph Sports Journal