Thistles double Halton to finish regular season
FERGUS – The Fergus Thistles finished their Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League regular season with a 16-8 victory over the Halton Hills Bulldogs Friday night at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex, securing a second-place finish in the West Division.
The result also set up a best-of-three conference quarter-final series between the Thistles and Bulldogs.
Fergus scored seven times in the final 10 and a half minutes of the first period to claim a 9-3 lead at the end of the first period. The Thistles were up 14-5 at the end of the second.
Scott Stovel had a hat trick for the Thistles while Bo Columbus, McCaiden Dixon, Brett Harrison, Dean Sealey and Trayvon Williamson added two goals apiece. Single goals were netted by Mitchell Bernier, Trent Spear and Adam Lantz. Spear assisted on nine of the goals while Mitchell Daw and Lantz had five assists each, Sealey and Stovel had three assists each and Bernier, Columbus and Dixon each had one assist.
Tyler Morris had three goals and four assists for Halton Hills. Steven Portelli also had a hat trick while Jack Hebert and Jesse Laidlaw scored once each. Connor Houston and Evan Perehiniak each had two assists and Laidlaw and Portelli had one each.
The Thistles outshot the Bulldogs 62-34 and went 1-for-3 on the power play while Halton Hills went 1-for-2.
Owen Bratton picked up the win in net for Fergus. He made 26 saves while Jordan Rowsell took the loss for Halton Hills. Rowsell started and made 13 saves in the first period. Sam Haines played the final two periods, making 33 saves.
Fergus and the Wilmot Wild finished with identical 11-5-0 records. Fergus was awarded second in the division and Wilmot third thanks to goal differential in the games they played against one another.
The Thistles get to play seventh-place Halton Hills (4-12-0) in the conference quarter-finals while Wilmot plays sixth-place Mimico Mountaineers (7-8-1).
Thistles 16 Bulldogs 8
1. Fergus, Lantz (Spear, Sealey) 0:50
2. Halton Hills, Laidlaw (Morris) 3:07
3. Fergus, Harrison (Lantz, Spear) 5:51
4. Fergus, Williamson (Bernier, Columbus) 9:37
5. Fergus, Dixon (Spear, Sealey) 10:20
6. Fergus, Bernier (Spear, Lantz) 12:08
7. Halton Hills, Portelli (Morris) 13:02
8. Halton Hills, Morris (unassisted) 14:31
9. Fergus, Columbus (Daw, Spear) 15:46
10. Fergus, Harrison (Daw, Spear) 17:25
11. Fergus, Stovel (Daw, Spear) 19:28
12. Fergus, Stovel (Sealey, Dixon) 19:59
Penalties: Columbus Ferg (high sticking), Portelli Halt (high sticking), 5:03.
13. Fergus, Sealey (unassisted) 0:10
14. Fergus, Sealey (Lantz, Stovel) 8:16 pp
15. Halton Hills, Morris (Perehiniak, Laidlaw) 9:41
16. Fergus, Columbus (Spear, Lantz) 10:53
17. Halton Hills, Morris (Perehiniak, Portelli) 12:23 pp
18. Fergus, Williamson (Spear, Stovel) 14:41
19. Fergus, Spear (Stovel, Daw) 16:58
Penalties: Portelli Halt (slashing), 8:01; Sealey Ferg (high sticking), 11:19; Hoegy Ferg (tripping), 11:41.
20. Halton Hills, Portelli (Morris, Houston) 1:21
21. Fergus, Dixon (unassisted) 7:40
22. Halton Hills, Portelli (unassisted) 8:20
23. Fergus, Stovel (Daw, Lantz) 11:26
24. Halton Hills, Hebert (Morris, Houston) 12:41
Penalties: Mowat Halt (checking in the crease), 5:04; Mcleod Ferg (slashing), Portelli Halt (slashing), 16:13; Hill Halt (slashing), 18:58.
Shots on Goal
Halton Hills 13-10-11–34
Goalies: Rowsell (L, 22 shots-13 saves), Haines (0:00 of second, 40 shots-33 saves), Halton Hills; Bratton (W, 34 shots-26 saves), Fergus.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Halton Hills 1-2; Fergus 1-3.
- Guelph Sports Journal