Thistles nip Peterborough to remain unbeaten
PETERBOROUGH – A pair of goals less than a minute apart early in the third period lifted the Fergus Thistles to a 9-8 victory over the Peterborough Lakers in Ontario junior C lacrosse league play Saturday night at the Evinrude Community Centre.
The Thistles rallied from a three-goal deficit midway through the first period. Fergus scored first in the game, but never led again until Adam Lantz hit for the game’s final goal five minutes into the third period. That came 55 seconds after the Thistles had pulled even with the Lakers for the fourth time in the game.
Peterborough led 4-2 at the end of the first period and the teams were tied 7-7 at the end of the second.
Jayden Bushy had a hat trick for the Thistles while Brett Harrison and Dean Sealey scored twice each. Lantz and Mitchell Bernier also scored. Lantz had five assists while Bushy had three and Sealey, Austin Hoegy, Owen Ristov, Louie Ristov, Grae Fraser, Austin Flaherty, Mitchell Daw and Bernier had one apiece.
Adam Churchill had a pair of goals for Peterborough and single markers were netted by Matt Smith, Travis Ferguson, Kyle Nelson, Cal Davis, Colin Brown and Jayd Killingbeck. Colin Brown, Smith, Riley Caldwell, Killingbeck and Churchill each had two assists while Trent Larock, Matt Currie, Davis and Dan Brown had one each.
Bill Wilson picked up the win in the Fergus net and Thomas Crews took the loss for Peterborough.
The win was the fourth in as many league outings for Fergus while Peterborough dropped to 2-2-0. Of the four wins for Fergus, only a 9-3 win over the Brantford Warriors was by more than two goals and two of the victories came in overtime.
The Thistles are to play the Warriors at Brantford Friday at 8 p.m.
Thistles 9 Lakers 8
1. Fergus, Harrison (Lantz, Bushy) 3:39
2. Peterborough, Smith (C.Brown, Larock) 5:21
3. Peterborough, Churchill (C.Brown, Smith) 5:40
4. Peterborough, Ferguson (Caldwell, Currie) 6:49
5. Peterborough, Nelson (Killingbeck, Churchill) 9:37
6. Fergus, Sealey (Bushy, Lantz) 17:13
Penalties: Hoover Pbo (high sticking), 1:38; Killingbeck Pbo (high sticking), 7:20; O.Ristov Ferg (slashing), 11:55; Killingbeck Pbo (interference), 18:13.
7. Fergus, Bushy (Sealey, Lantz) 6:57
8. Fergus, Sealey (Hoegy) 7:24
9. Peterborough, Davis (Killingbeck) 9:12
10. Fergus, Bushy (Lantz, O.Ristov) 10:11
11. Peterborough, C.Brown (Churchill, Smith) 10:58
12. Fergus, Harrison (Bushy, L.Ristov) 11:27
13. Peterborough, Killingbeck (Davis) 17:31
14. Fergus, Bushy (Fraser, Lantz) 19:06
Penalties: Hoover Pbo (high sticking), 0:55; Daw Ferg (tripping), 10:35; Davis Pbo (illegal cross checking), 18:51.
15. Peterborough, Churchill (Caldwell, D.Brown) 0:53
16. Fergus, Bernier (Flaherty, Daw) 4:06
17. Fergus, Lantz (Bernier) 5:01
Penalties: Hoover Pbo (high sticking), 4:06; Hall Ferg (slashing), 6:53; Sealey Ferg (tripping), 11:54.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Wilson (W), Fergus; Crews (L), Peterborough.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Fergus 0-6; Peterborough 0-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal