Thistles run away in third to clip Caledon
CALEDON – A seven-goal outburst in the third period sparked the Fergus Thistles to a 13-6 victory over the Caledon Bandits in Ontario junior C lacrosse league play Tuesday at the Caledon Community Complex.
The scoring spree started just less than a minute after host Caledon scored to cut the gap to a single goal at 6-5 for Fergus. The seven goals were scored in a span of four minutes and 46 seconds and by the time Caledon scored again, about eight minutes after their first goal of the period, the Thistles had secured the victory.
Fergus led 4-2 at the end of the first period and 6-4 after the second and outshot Caledon 54-32. The Thistles went 3-for-11 on their power play while Caledon went 2-for-9.
Scott Stovel struck for four goals for the Thistles while Dean Sealey had a hat trick and Justin Beaulieu scored twice. Single goals were netted by Mitchell Bernier, McCaiden Dixon, Austin Flaherty and Trayvon Williamson. Adam Lantz and Sealey each collected five assists while Stovel had four, Dixon had two and Beaulieu, Bernier, Mitchell Daw, Flaherty, Curtis Hall, Owen Ristov and Williamson each had one.
Jordan Oshowy scored three times for Caledon while Jonathan Ferguson, Dimitri Meszaros and Darcy Tainsh added single goals. Austin Pope had three assists while Spencer Wood had two and Scott Edwards, Josh MacIssac and Jordan McAtthur had one each.
Owen Bratton had the win in net for Fergus while Adam Brennan took the loss.
The Thistles are tied for second in the West Division at 8-3-0. The Brantford Warriors are at 8-5-0 while the Six Nations Warriors lead at 10-2-0. Caledon trails as the Bandits have lost all 12 games they’ve played.
The Thistles and Bandits are to play again Friday at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex. Game time is 8 p.m.
Thistles 13 Bandits 6
1. Fergus, Flaherty (Sealey) 0:42
2. Caledon, Oshowy (MacIssac) 2:27
3. Fergus, Stovel (Flaherty, Lantz) 6:51
4. Fergus, Stovel (Bernier, Sealey) 9:40
5. Caledon, Meszaros (Edwards, Pope) 16:51
6. Fergus, Beaulieu (Dixon, Stovel) 19:14
Penalties: Burbano Cal (roughing), 17:27; Williamson Ferg (roughing, unsportsmanlike conduct), 19:27; Oshowy Cal (roughing), Hoegy Ferg (roughing), 20:00.
7. Caledon, Ferguson (unassisted) 5:19
8. Caledon, Tainsh (Pope) 6:11
9. Fergus, Sealey (Stovel, O.Ristov) 13:32 pp
10. Fergus, Bernier (Daw, Lantz) 19:15
Penalties: Wood Cal (slashing), 0:31; Oshowy Cal (roughing), Carey Ferg (elbowing major), 6:11; Oshowy Cal (high sticking), 9:47; Edwards Cal (high sticking), 13:20; L.Ristov Ferg (elbowing major), 15:22; Sant Cal (illegal cross checking), 19:01.
11. Caledon, Oshowy (Wood, Pope) 1:43 pp
12. Fergus, Sealey (Lantz, Dixon) 2:36
13. Fergus, Dixon (unassisted) 3:26
14. Fergus, Stovel (Sealey, Hall) 3:35
15. Fergus, Williamson (Sealey, Stovel) 3:59
16. Fergus, Beaulieu (Stovel, Williamson) 5:13
17. Fergus, Stovel (Lantz, Sealey) 5:38 pp
18. Fergus, Sealey (Lantz, Beaulieu) 7:22 pp
19. Caledon, Oshowy (Wood, McAtthur) 9:40 pp
Penalties: Bachly Ferg (too many men bench minor), 1:20; Danemman Ferg (high sticking), 4:20; Oshowy Cal (unsportsmanlike conduct), 4:55; DiMartino Cal (illegal cross checking), 5:15; Tainsh Cal (unsportsmanlike conduct), 5:38; Hall Ferg (boarding major), 8:34; Hoegy Ferg (high sticking), 9:01; L.Ristov Ferg (checking from behind double minor), 11:01; Bishop Cal (checking from behind double minor), 13:55; Blumbergs Cal (slashing), 18:05; Edwards Cal (roughing), DiMartino Cal (abuse of officials misconduct), Hoegy Ferg (roughing), 19:43.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Bratton (W, 32 shots-26 saves), Fergus; Brennan (L, 54 shots-41 saves), Caledon.
Power-Plays (goals-chances): Fergus 3-11; Caledon 2-9.
- Guelph Sports Journal