Braves rally in third to top Orangeville
KITCHENER – The Kitchener-Waterloo Braves scored five times in the third period to claim an 8-5 victory over the Orangeville Northmen in Ontario junior A lacrosse league play Thursday night at Kinsmen Arena.
The win was the second in a row for the Braves.
Orangeville led 3-2 at the end of the first period before the teams scored once apiece in the second.
Jake Stevens had a hat trick for the Braves while Spencer Pyke added a pair of goals and Tye Kurtz, Devyn Orpana and Lucas Snider also scored. Kurtz had three assists, Orpana had two and goalie Steven Orleman, Trent DiCiccio, Quinn Commandant, Stevens, Carter McKenzie, Pyke and Snider each had one.
Grant Scott, Scott Dominey, Travis Brown, Kyle Waters and Curtis Bukta each scored for Orangeville. Braydon Cresswell assisted on two of the goals and single assists went to Scott, Dominey, Dylan Watson, Dustyn Pratt, Waters, Bukta and Jordan Caskenette.
The teams each had 47 shots on net and KW was 1-for-2 on its power play and the Braves kept Orangeville scoreless on five power plays.
Steven Orleman collected the win in net for the Braves as he had 42 saves while Rylan Hartley had 39 saves for Orangeville.
The win lifts KW into a tie for seventh in the 11-team league with 12 points at 6-8-0. However, the Mimico Mountaineers (6-5-0) have three games in hand and the Six Nations Arrows (6-7-0) have one game in hand.
Orangeville’s second at 10-5-0.
The Braves have six games to go in their regular season starting with a match against the Whitby Warriors (8-7-0) Saturday at 4 p.m. at Whitby’s Iroquois Park arena.
Braves 8 Northmen 5
1. Orangeville, Bukta (Watson, Scott) 1:15
2. Orangeville, Waters (Bukta, Dominey) 3:23
3. Kitchener-Waterloo, Snider (Commandant, Orpana) 5:15
4. Orangeville, Scott (Cresswell, Caskenette) 10:58
5. Kitchener-Waterloo, Pyke (DiCiccio, Kurtz) 17:58
Penalties: Newbrough KW (high sticking), 6:39; Halls Orange (too many men), 8:48; McKenzie KW (holding), 13:24.
6. Kitchener-Waterloo, Orpana (Stevens, Pyke) 6:35
7. Orangeville, Brown (Waters, Cresswell) 9:56
Penalties: DiCiccio KW (slashing), 3:57; McKenzie KW (illegal cross checking), 12:54; DiCiccio KW (holding), 15:56.
8. Kitchener-Waterloo, Stevens (Snider) 5:01
9. Kitchener-Waterloo, Kurtz (unassisted) 5:48 pp
10. Kitchener-Waterloo, Pyke (McKenzie, Kurtz) 10:55
11. Orangeville, Dominey (Pratt) 11:32
12. Kitchener-Waterloo, Stevens (Orpana, Kurtz) 17:12
13. Kitchener-Waterloo, Stevens (Orleman) 19:27
Penalty: Deaken Orange (slashing), 5:25.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Hartley (L, 47 shots-39 saves), Orangeville; Orleman (W, 47 shots-42 saves), Kitchener-Waterloo.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Orangeville 0-5; Kitchener-Waterloo 1-2.
- Guelph Sports Journal