Centre Wellington claims OHF midget A crown

ELMIRA – Caleb McDougall’s goal after almost seven and a half minutes of play in the second overtime period gave the Centre Wellington Fusion the Ontario Hockey Federation’s midget A championship Sunday at the Woolwich Memorial Centre.

That goal lifted the Fusion to a 4-3 victory over the Elmira Junior Sugar Kings in the championship match. The two teams had also met in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association’s midget AA final with Centre Wellington winning that six-point series 7-5.

In Sunday’s OHF final, Centre Wellington built a 3-0 lead before Elmira fought back to tie the game and force overtime. Each overtime period was to be 10 minutes in duration.

The Fusion went 0-for-5 on its power play while the Sugar Kings went 2-for-6.

Jack McDonald, Bryan Richardson and Jarrett Anderson scored in regulation time for Centre Wellington while assists were awarded to Richardson, Hayden Ireland, Zachary Tofflmire and Colton Donaldson.

Griffen Rollins, Lukas Shantz and Keaton McLaughlin scored for Elmira and Bart Sherrer had two assists and Lucas Huber, Nolan Hislop, Griffin Hergott and Austin Cousineau each had one.

Zachary Tarr picked up the win in net for Centre Wellington while Brett Springer took the loss for Elmira.

In the semifinals earlier Sunday, Centre Wellington dropped the Stratford Warriors 6-1 and Elmira edged Lorne Park Clarkson Wild 3-2.

The Fusion scored twice in the first period and four times in the third, including three in a span of two minutes and 25 seconds, to down Stratford.

The Warriors played most of the third period shorthanded as they were assessed five minor penalties, a major and two misconducts. They’d also been given four minors and a misconduct earlier in the game while Centre Wellington’s lone penalty of the game was a minor for roughing.

Ireland, Kyle Detweiler, Tyler Healey, Nick Aitchison, Caleb Willmets and Richardson had a goal apiece for the Fusion while Levi Humber and Aitchison each had two assists. Getting one assist each were McDougall, Jonathan Bauman, Ethan Meyer and Anderson.

Callan Ferguson had a shorthanded, unassisted goal late in the third period for Stratford to ruin the shutout bid by Centre Wellington’s Tarr.

Both Centre Wellington and Elmira had three wins and a loss in preliminary round-robin play in the three-day tournament. The Fusion lost 4-1 to the Junior Sugar Kings while Elmira was downed 3-1 by Lorne Park Clarkson.

Centre Wellington defeated Lorne Park Clarkson 2-1, New Liskeard Lions 3-0 and Stratford 5-2 in round-robin play while the Junior Sugar Kings defeated Stratford 3-0 and New Liskeard 4-1 in the preliminary round.

Richardson finished the tournament with five goals for the Fusion while Bauman, McDonald, Healey, McDougall, Anderson and Detweiler scored twice apiece and single goals were netted by Aitchison, Willmets, Ireland and Drew Kelly.

Bauman had five assists while Donaldson had four, Humber three, McDonald, Aitchison, Willmets, Ireland, Ethan Meyer and Tofflemire had two each and Richardson, Healey, McDougall, Anderson and Kelly each had one.

Tarr played all six games in goal for Centre Wellington.


  • Guelph Sports Journal