Fergus Thistles fade in setback to Wilmot
BADEN – The Fergus Thistles surrendered seven third-period goals as they fell 16-10 to the Wilmot Wild in Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League play Sunday at the Wilmot Recreation Complex.
Fergus scored the first three goals of the game, but trailed 4-3 at the end of the first period and 9-7 after the second.
Justin Beaulieu, Zach Cameron and Austin Roberts scored twice each for Fergus while Logan Cameron, Adam Lantz, Jonah White and Brett Harrison netted single goals. Zach Cameron had three assists while Beaulieu had two and Logan Cameron, Carson Stevenson, gaolie Noah Nixon, J.J. Swanston and Jacob Hayne had one each.
Tyler Verutis connected for five goals for Wilmot while Tyler Nagy and Matt Wyman had three apiece and Kent Radbourne had two. Single goals were added by Evan Girdler, Cody Hudson and Landon Whitlow while Luke Finoro had seven assists, Nagy had five, Verutis had three, Brett Lebold and Braydon Hahn had two apiece and Girdler, Ryan Smart, Colten Besse and Radbourne each had one.
The Wild outshot the Thistles 54-50 and neither team scored on its power play, Wilmot having eight power plays and Fergus six.
Andrew Chenier was the winning netminder for Wilmot as he and Reyd Fitton split time in net. Chenier had 15 saves and Fitton had 25. Noah Nixon took the loss for Fergus. He had 38 saves.
Wilmot leads the West Division at 11-3-0 with two games to go in its regular season. The Thistles have one game to go and are fourth at 8-6-1. They’ll finish either fourth or fifth in the division and likely play the Oakville Buzz (5-4-1) in the best-of-five divisional quarter-finals.
Fergus is to complete its regular season Friday at 8 p.m. with a game against the Caledon Bandits (1-12-0) at Mayfield arena.
Wild 16 Thistles 10
1. Fergus, White (Hayne) 7:19
2. Fergus, Harrison (unassisted) 10:00
3. Fergus, Lantz (Beaulieu, Z.Cameron) 10:21
4. Wilmot, Wyman (Finoro, Besse) 14:50
5. Wilmot, Nagy (Lebold) 15:10
6. Wilmot, Wyman (Girdler, Nagy) 16:11
7. Wilmot, Verutis (Finoro) 18:08
Penalties: Bachly Ferg (high sticking), 8:02; Verutis Wilm (holding), 8:25; Smart Wilm (spearing major), 9:27.
8. Fergus, Roberts (unassisted) 3:42
9. Wilmot, Verutis (Nagy, Hahn) 5:26
10. Wilmot, Wyman (Verutis, Hahn) 6:23
11. Fergus, Roberts (Stevenson, Nixon) 7:25
12. Wilmot, Hudson (Smart) 11:18
13. Fergus, Z.Cameron (Beaulieu) 12:34
14. Wilmot, Verutis (Radbourne, Finoro) 14:51
15. Wilmot, Verutis (Nagy, Lebold) 16:02
16. Fergus, Z.Cameron (L.Cameron) 19:23
Penalties: Verutis Wilm (roughing), Roberts Ferg (roughing), 10:17; Schmitt Wilm (holding), Stevenson Ferg (roughing), 10:47; Swanston Ferg (high sticking), 14:38; Whitlow Wilm (cross checking double minor), 15:32.
17. Fergus, Beaulieu (Swanston, Z.Cameron) 0:53
18. Fergus, L.Cameron (unassisted) 1:48
19. Wilmot, Radbourne (Verutis) 4:06
20. Wilmot, Nagy (Verutis, Finoro) 4:52
21. Wilmot, Girdler (unassisted) 6:49
22. Fergus, Beaulieu (Z.Cameron) 7:15
23. Wilmot, Whitlow (unassisted) 10:24
24. Wilmot, Radbourne (Nagy, Finoro) 11:19
25. Wilmot, Verutis (Nagy, Finoro) 15:21
26. Wilmot, Nagy (Finoro) 17:58
Penalties: Ristov Ferg (checking from behind double minor), 5:13; Jibb Wilm (checking from behind double minor), 5:36; Harrison Ferg (slashing), 10:24; Aitchison Ferg (holding), 12:21; Ristov Ferg (high sticking), L.Cameron Ferg (slashing), 13:33; Whitlow Wilm (roughing), 19:17.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Nixon (L, 54 shots-38 saves), Fergus; Fitton (29:20, 30 shots-25 saves), Chenier (W, 30:40, 20 shots-15 saves), Wilmot.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Fergus 0-6; Wilmot 0-8.
- Guelph Sports Journal