Guelph Regals knocked out of playoff race
GUELPH – The last mathematical chance the Guelph Regals had of qualifying for the Ontario junior B lacrosse league playoffs were erased Friday night at the Victoria Road arena when they were dropped 16-6 by the Hamilton Bengals.
The Regals are 10th in the Western Conference at 4-14-1 with one game to play. St. Catharines Spartans are eighth at 6-12-1, also with one game to play.
While the Regals’ mathematical chances existed until Friday’s game, they knew their realistic chances of making the playoffs were gone last week when they traded leading scorer Reed Kurtz, Zach Martin and David Anderson.
Friday, four consecutive goals by Hamilton in the first period gave the Bengals the breathing space they needed to cruise to the win. They led 6-2 at the end of the first period and 12-4 at the end of the second and they outshot the Regals 75-43.
Jayden Bushey tallied twice for the Regals while Liam Holwell, Carter TenEycke, Joel Hoogaars and Mitch Zulian also scored. Cohen Campbell and goalie Cole Martin each had two assists while Zulian, Curtis Webb, Jean-Luc Vereecke, Shane Halliwell and Holwell had one apiece.
Luke Robinson hit for a hat trick for Hamilton and Sean Campbell, Tanner Brenneke, Hunter Aggus and Norm Pitt netted two goals apiece. Getting single goals were Yvon Bolduc, Sam English, Jordan Gillis, Ty Argent and Jacob Parkinson. Goaltender Lucas Nagy had five assists while English had three, Gillis, Argent and George Pitt had two apiece and Michael Mayes, Parkinson, Robinson, Dawson Brown, Campbell, Aggus and Brenneke had one each.
The teams each scored a power-play goal, Guelph having three power plays in the game and Hamilton having six.
Cole Martin took the loss in the Regals’ net, although he made several huge saves to keep the game as close as it was. Lucas Nagy had 37 saves for Hamilton, now 14-5-0.
The Regals are to wrap up their season Sunday with a 3 p.m. game against the Windsor Clippers (15-3-0) at the Victoria Road arena.
Bengals 16 Regals 6
1. Hamilton, Robinson (Gillis, Argent) 2:22
2. Hamilton, S.Campbell (G.Pitt) 2:58
3. Guelph, Holwell (Zulian, C.Campbell) 5:04
4. Hamilton, Brenneke (Gillis) 9:00
5. Hamilton, S.Campbell (Nagy) 11:27
6. Hamilton, Aggus (unassisted) 15:49
7. Hamilton, Bolduc (Mayes, Nagy) 17:15
8. Guelph, Bushey (unassisted) 17:15
9. Hamilton, English (unassisted) 2:31
10. Hamilton, N.Pitt (Parkinson, Nagy) 9:44
11. Hamilton, Gillis (Robinson, English) 13:43
12. Hamilton, Argent (English, Brown) 14:13
13. Guelph, Bushey (Webb, Co.Martin) 15:06
14. Hamilton, Aggus (Nagy) 15:57
15. Hamilton, N.Pitt (G.Pitt) 16:53
16. Guelph, TenEycke (Vereecke, C.Campbell) 18:14
Penalties: Webb Gue (illegal cross checking), 4:10; Hoogaars Gue (tripping), 6:26; Gillis Ham (holding), 7:10.
17. Hamilton, Robinson (S.Campbell, Argent) 4:08
18. Guelph, Hoogaars (Co.Martin) 11:07
19. Hamilton, Parkinson (Aggus, Nagy) 12:15
20. Hamilton, Robinson (Brenneke, English) 13:16 pp
21. Hamilton, Brenneke (unassisted) 15:51
22. Guelph, Zulian (Halliwell, Holwell) 16:09 pp
Penalties: Webb Gue (slashing), 12:54; Bolduc Ham (unnecessary roughness), 13:16; Argent Ham (unnecessary roughness), 15:51; Webb Gue (high sticking), Burke Gue (slashing), 16:24; Webb Gue (illegal cross checking, roughing major), 18:52; G.Pitt Ham (roughing major), 18:52; Gillis Ham (unsportsmanlike conduct misconduct), 19:34.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Nagy (W, 43 shots-37 saves), Hamilton; Co.Martin (L, 75 shots-59 saves), Guelph.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Hamilton 1-6; Guelph 1-3.
- Guelph Sports Journal