Kurtz, Halliwell power Regals to victory
POINT EDWARD – The Guelph Regals scored the final four goals of the game to secure a 16-10 victory over the Point Edward Pacers in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Saturday at the Point Edward Arena.
Regals rookies Reed Kurtz and Shane Halliwell combined for 23 scoring points in the game. Kurtz had five goals and seven assists while Halliwell had six goals and five assists.
Those totals moved them to one-two in the league’s scoring race. Kurtz is ahead with 15 goals and 25 assists in six games while Halliwell has 19 goals and 14 assists and is tied with Chayton King of Six Nations for second in the scoring race.
Both Kurtz and Halliwell played for the Regals as call-ups last season when Kurtz had four goals and five assists in three games and Halliwell collected four assists in four games.
Liam Holwell netted a hat trick for the Regals Saturday while Jayden Bushey and Dante Vassiallo also scored. Bushey and Cohen Campbell each had thee assists while single assists were awarded to Zach Sanders, Curtis Webb, Carter TenEycke, Jean-Luc Vereecke, Vassiallo, David Pavlinich, Jack Burke and Cole Martin.
Vereecke was playing his first game with the Regals after they claimed him Friday after he was released by the Hamilton Bengals.
Cory Burr led Point Edward with four goals while Kevin Durco and Jakob Knowles each added two goals. Lucas Knowles and Korey Conroy also scored. Blain Adams had there assists while Jakob Knowles, Conroy, Noble Jacobs and Lucas Knowles each had two and Nate Armstrong, Brett Barnes, Logan Scott, Burr and Jack McAuley each had one.
The Regals led 7-3 at the end of the first period and 10-8 after the second. The locals were ahead 12-10 just after the midway mark of the third period before they put on their final scoring spurt.
Point Edward outshot the Regals 50-49, but the Guelph side made the most of its power-play situations as it went 5-for-7 and Point Edward went 1-for-4.
Martin picked up the win in the Guelph net and Jacobs took the loss for the Pacers.
The result leaves the Regals at 3-3-0 and Point Edward at 0-4-0.
The Regals are to play the Wallaceburg Red Devils (5-1-0) at Wallaceburg Saturday at 3 p.m.
Regals 16 Pacers 10
1. Guelph, Halliwell (Kurtz) 0:14
2. Guelph, Holwell (Halliwell) 0:45
3. Point Edward, Burr (Armstrong) 1:19
4. Point Edward, Durco (Adams) 2:39 pp
5. Guelph, Kurtz (Sanders, Bushey) 6:30 pp
6. Guelph, Halliwell (Webb, Kurtz) 6:47
7. Guelph, Kurtz (Halliwell, TenEycke) 7:33
8. Point Edward, Burr (Barnes, Scott) 8:31
9. Guelph, Kurtz (Bushey, Halliwell) 9:59 pp
10. Guelph, Kurtz (Campbell, Vereecke) 18:32
Penalties: Dunk Gue (high sticking), 1:19; Elford Gue (holding), 3:43; Burr PtE (slashing), 6:18; Adams PtE (high sticking), 9:39.
11. Guelph, Halliwell (Campbell, Vassiallo) 6:44
12. Point Edward, L.Knowles (Burr, J.Knowles) 7:40
13. Point Edward, J.Knowles (Conroy, Jacobs) 8:09
14. Guelph, Halliwell (Kurtz, Pavlinich) 14:19
15. Point Edward, Conroy (Adams, McAuley) 15:23
16. Point Edward, J.Knowles (Adams) 16:45
17. Guelph, Vassiallo (Burke) 18:36
18. Point Edward, Burr (L.Knowles, J.Knowles) 19:11
Penalties: Webb Gue (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Caughlin PtE (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), 6:11; Cox PtE (interference), 11:57; L.Knowles PtE (unnecessary roughness), Burke Gue (unnecessary roughness), 13:37.
19. Guelph, Holwell (Bushey, Campbell) 0:27
20. Point Edward, Durco (Jacobs) 1:09
21. Guelph, Halliwell (Kurtz) 6:06 pp
22. Point Edward, Burr (Conroy, L.Knowles) 10:07
23. Guelph, Holwell (Halliwell, Kurtz) 10:28
24. Guelph, Kurtz (unassisted) 10:35
25. Guelph, Halliwell (Kurtz, Martin) 15:36 pp
26. Guelph, Bushey (Halliwell, Kurtz) 16:07 pp
Penalties: L.Knowles PtE (checking in the crease), 5:00; J.Knowles PtE (holding), 8:35; Burke Gue (high sticking), 9:49; L.Knowles PtE (slashing, unsportsmanlike conduct, unsportsmanlike conduct game misconduct), 14:10; Burke Gue (holding), 17:52; Lang Gue (slashing), Lavoie PtE (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), 19:44.
Shots on Goal
Point Edward 50
Goalies: Martin (W, 50 shots-40 saves), Guelph;
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 5-7; Point Edward 1-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal