Mohawks advance to Western Conference final
WALLACEBURG – The host Wallaceburg Red Devils came out hot this time, but the Elora Mohawks battled back to put Wallaceburg out of the Ontario Junior B Lacrosse League’s playoffs Sunday afternoon at the Wallaceburg Memorial Arena.
Despite trailing 3-0 four minutes into the game, the Mohawks claimed a 17-13 victory to take the best-of-five Western Conference semifinal series 3-1.
The teams took turns with scoring outbursts in the first period. After Wallaceburg’s opening three goals, the Mohawks scored a trio in a minute and a half to tie it up before the Red Devils shot ahead with two more goals before the midway mark of the period.
Elora scored four in a row in the second half of the period to shoot ahead, but Wallaceburg battled back to tie it in the first half of the second. The Mohawks regained the lead in the second 10 minutes of the second and never trailed again.
The Mohawks led 7-5 at the end of the first period and 11-8 after the second.
Kurtis Woodland rifled in five goals for Elora while Cole Spear, Hyatt Welsh, Ryan Mueller and Klayton Hoelscher each scored twice. Single goals were netted by Jack Francis, Josh Rex, Noah Lebar and A.J. Skirving. Tyrus Rehanek assisted on six of the goals while Spear had five assists. Welsh and Mueller each set up three goals while Woodland, Francis and goalie Landon Kells had two assists apiece and Hoelscher, Rex, Mason Noble and Blake Lewis had one each.
Marshall Powless and Tyler Brown scored hat tricks for Wallaceburg while Blain Adams fired home a pair of goals. Corey Lucier, Kyle Dawson, Jordan Goddard, Cory Burr and Vern Hill wrapped up the scoring with a goal apiece while Tanner Cole had three assists, Marshall Powless, Brown, Lucier and Dawson had two each and Goddard, Burr, Cecil Jacobs, Owen Martin, Brock Daugherty and Bronson Bea had one each.
Kells made 39 saves for the win while Brayden Bell started in net for Wallaceburg. He was replaced by Jacobs in the second period. Bell allowed had eight saves while Jacobs had 20, but took the loss in his stint of 35:38.
Wallaceburg outshot the Mohawks 52-45 and both teams scored a power-play goal, the Mohawks on five power plays and the Red Devils on four.
Elora advances to play the Six Nations Rebels in the best-of-five Western Conference final. Six Nations swept the Orangeville Northmen 3-0 in their conference semifinal.
Six Nations will have home-floor advantage in the series after finishing first in the conference with an 18-1-1 record. Elora was second at 17-3-0.
The Rebels won the lone regular-season meeting between the teams 8-6 at the Elora and District Community Centre May 27.
Mohawks 17 Red Devils 13
1. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Daugherty) 0:43
2. Wallaceburg, M.Powless (Brown) 1:57
3. Wallaceburg, M.Powless (Brown) 3:26
4. Elora, Spear (Rehanek, Mueller) 4:23
5. Elora, Woodland (Mueller, Spear) 5:32 pp
6. Elora, Hoelscher (Rehanek, Rex) 6:02
7. Wallaceburg, Lucier (Dawson, M.Powless) 8:44
8. Wallaceburg, Burr (Cole) 9:25
9. Elora, Mueller (Spear, Lewis) 10:53
10. Elora, Woodland (Spear, Rehanek) 12:37
11. Elora, Hoelscher (Spear) 19:34
12. Elora, Mueller (Woodland, Welsh) 19:55 ea
Penalties: Davis Wallace (illegal cross checking), 4:43; Brown Wallace (roughing), Lewis Elora (roughing), 7:37; Burr Wallace (roughing), Noble Elora (roughing), 18:06.
13. Wallaceburg, M.Powless (Goddard, Cole) 1:21
14. Elora, Spear (Hoelscher, Welsh) 4:05
15. Wallaceburg, Brown (Bea, Jacobs) 5:00
16. Wallaceburg, Brown (Lucier, M.Powless) 6:42 pp
17. Elora, Lebar (Woodland, Francis) 11:08
18. Elora, Woodland (Kells) 13:27
19. Elora, Rex (Rehanek, Welsh) 15:50
Penalties: Spear Elora (hooking), 6:27; Lewis Elora (unsportsmanlike conduct), 7:12; Daugherty Wallace (slashing), 17:25.
20. Wallaceburg, Hill (unassisted) 0:48
21. Elora, Woodland (Mueller) 5:24
22. Elora, Welsh (Rehanek, Francis) 5:51
23. Elora, Skirving (Noble) 7:02
24. Wallaceburg, Goddard (Dawson) 8:55
25. Elora, Woodland (Spear) 10:24
26. Wallaceburg, Brown (Burr) 11:51 ea
27. Elora, Francis (unassisted) 12:11 en
28. Elora, Welsh (Rehanek, Kells) 16:34
29. Wallaceburg, Adams (Cole) 16:58
30. Wallaceburg, Adams (Lucier, Martin) 19:21
Penalties: Jolley Elora (holding), 6:45; Bench Wallace (delay of game), 8:55; Martin Wallace (slashing), Hutchison Elora (unsportsmanlike conduct), 10:33; M.Powless Wallace (slashing), 13:09; Martin Wallace (slashing), 17:18; Noble Elora (holding), 19:12.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Kells (W, 52 shots-39 saves), Elora; Bell (23:24, 15 shots-8 saves), Jacobs (L, 35:38, 29 shots-20 saves), Wallaceburg.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 1-5; Wallaceburg 1-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal