Mohawks downed by Six Nations’ second-period spree
HAGERSVILLE – The Elora Mohawks surrendered six goals in the second period as they suffered a 13-7 loss to the Six Nations Rebels in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Friday night at the Iroquois Lacrosse Arena.
The teams were tied 1-1 at the end of the first period before Six Nations ran to a 7-2 lead by the end of the second.
The Rebels outshot the Mohawks 54-40 and went 1-for-4 on their power play while Elora went 2-for-4.
Dawson Bolger had a hat trick for Elora while Kurtis Woodland scored twice and Dean Sealey and Hyatt Welsh added single goals. Ryan Mueller, Klayton Hoelscher and Cody Stannard each had two assists while Woodland, Welsh, Chris Jolley, Dawson Bolger, Ryan Buller, Jack Francis and Carter McKenzie had one apiece.
Layne Smith struck for five goals for Six Nations while Gates Abrams had three, Chayton King two and Daylen Hill, Wes Whitlow and Kevin Owen Hill one apiece. Riley Miller, Kevin Owen Hill and King each had four assists while Tanner Baldin had three, Smith and Whitlow had two each and Josh Miller, Justin Martin, Kahn General, Briley Miller, Wake:Riat Bowhunter, Tyler Foxe-MacKenzie and Bo Peltier each had one.
Briley Miller was the winning netminder for Six Nations while Matt Humphrey took the loss for Elora.
The result leaves Six Nations at 17-1-0 and Elora at 11-6-0.
The Mohawks are assured of playing in the playoffs as they clinched a berth earlier in the week when the Guelph Regals (3-13-0) defeated the Point Edward Pacers (7-9-0).
The Mohawks have three games to go in their regular season. They’re to wrap up the home portion of their season Sunday with a home game against the Orangeville Northmen (15-2-0). Game time at the Elora and District Community Centre is 7 p.m.
Rebels 13 Mohawks 7
1. Elora, D.Bolger (McKenzie, Buller) 2:34
2. Six Nations, Smith (R.Miller, Martin) 10:38
Penalties: Baldin SN (illegal cross checking), 3:01; Hutchison Elora (slashing), 7:28; Masters Elora (high sticking), 14:18; Francis Elora (high sticking), 17:00.
3. Six Nations, D.Hill (Baldin, B.Miller) 1:29
4. Six Nations, Smith (Bowhunter, Foxe-MacKenzie) 4:16
5. Elora, Welsh (Francis) 4:28
6. Six Nations, Abrams (Whitlow, Baldin) 13:29
7. Six Nations, Smith (Owen Hill, King) 13:49
8. Six Nations, Abrams (Whitlow, Owen Hill) 18:09
9. Six Nations, Whitlow (Peltier, King) 19:45
Penalty: Baldin SN (free hand check), 10:13.
10. Elora, Sealey (Stannard, Woodland) 1:46
11. Elora, Woodland (Mueller, Welsh) 4:28 pp
12. Six Nations, King (Baldin, K.Owen Hill) 6:44 sh
13. Six Nations, Smith (J.Miller, R.Miller) 9:13 pp
14. Six Nations, Abrams (Smith, R.Miller) 13:31
15. Elora, Woodland (D.Bolger, Mueller) 15:33 pp
16. Elora, D.Bolger (Hoelscher, Jolley) 16:12
17. Six Nations, King (Smith, K.Owen Hill) 16:30
18. Six Nations, O.Hill (R.Miller, King) 18:32
19. Six Nations, Smith (King, General) 19:00
20. Elora, D.Bolger (Stannard, Hoelscher) 19:13
Penalties: O.Martin SN (illegal cross checking major), 3:56; Elora, Carter McKenzie Elora (illegal cross checking), 9:00; General SN (interference), 14:32.
Shots on Goal
Six Nations 17-19-18–54
Goalies: Humphrey (L, 50 shots-39 saves), Kells (4 shots-2 saves); Elora; B.Miller (40 shots-33 saves), Six Nations.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 2-4; Six Nations 1-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal