Mohawks erupt in third to square Western semifinal
WALLACEBURG – The Elora Mohawks struck for eight unanswered goals in the third period to down the Wallaceburg Red Devils 13-6 and square their Ontario Junior B Lacrosse League Western Conference semifinal at a win apiece Sunday at the Wallaceburg Memorial Arena.
Six of Elora’s third-period goals came in a span of 5:40 in the second half of the period as the Mohawks took control.
Elora led 2-1 at the end of the first period before Wallaceburg grabbed a 6-5 lead by the end of the second.
Ryan Mueller rifled in four goals for Elora while Tyrus Rehanek had a hat trick, Klayton Hoelscher and Kurtis Woodland scored twice each and Cole Spear and Brett Harrison added single goals. Hoelscher and Spear each had three assists while Mueller, Rehanek, Mason Noble and Hyatt Welsh had two apiece and Harrison, Jack Francis, Josh Rex and goaltender Landon Kells had one each.
Corey Lucier scored twice for Wallaceburg while single goals were netted by MacCoy Abrams, Tyler Brown, Tyler Davis and Kyle Dawson. Cory Burr gathered two assists and Lucier, Riley Roe, Jordan Goddard, Owen Martin, Sidney Powless and Brayden Bell had one apiece.
The Mohawks outshot the Red Devils 55-36 and went 2-for-4 on their power play while Wallaceburg scored on its only power play.
Landon Kells made 30 saves for the win in the Elora net while starter Brayden Bell took the loss with 41 saves for Wallaceburg.
Third game of the best-of-five series is set for Saturday at the Elora and District Community Centre. Game time is 7 p.m.
Fourth game is to go in Wallaceburg Sunday at 4 p.m.
Mohawks 13 Red Devils 6
1. Wallaceburg, Davis (Bell) 3:18
2. Elora, Rehanek (Noble, Kells) 9:42
3. Elora, Hoelscher (Spear, Rex) 17:35 pp
Penalties: Bench Wallace (abuse of officials), 15:47; Hutchison Elora (roughing), S.Powless Wallace (unsportsmanlike conduct), 19:38.
4. Elora, Mueller (Harrison, Hoelscher) 7:06
5. Wallaceburg, Lucier (unassisted) 7:44
6. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Roe, Goddard) 8:03
7. Elora, Woodland (Spear, Rehanek) 8:57 pp
8. Wallaceburg, Abrams (Lucier) 9:43
9. Elora, Rehanek (Francis, Noble) 10:25
10. Wallaceburg, Lucier (S.Powless, Burr) 12:56 pp
11. Wallaceburg, Brown (Burr, Martin) 13:15
Penalties: Lucier Wallace (high sticking), 8:16; Johnston Wallace (roughing), Hutchison Elora (roughing), 9:50; Spear Elora (tripping), 11:49; Burr Wallace (illegal cross checking), 15:16.
12. Elora, Mueller (Hoelscher, Spear) 6:49
13. Elora, Spear (Mueller) 9:11
14. Elora, Mueller (unassisted) 11:40
15. Elora, Hoelscher (Welsh) 12:02
16. Elora, Mueller (Rehanek, Hoelscher) 12:19
17. Elora, Woodland (Mueller, Welsh) 14:43
18. Elora, Rehanek (unassisted) 16:32
19. Elora, Harrison (unassisted) 17:27
Penalties: S.Powless Wallace (unsportsmanlike conduct), 5:04; Adams Wallace (roughing), Lewis Elora (roughing), 6:35; S.Powless Wallace (roughing), Francis Elora (roughing), 8:41; Hill Wallace (abuse of officials misconduct), 16:32; Roe Wallace (unsportsmanlike conduct game misconduct), Hutchison Elora (roughing), Adams Wallace (checking from behind major, unsportsmanlike conduct game misconduct), 17:48; Gilhuly Wallace (fighting major, high sticking major, second major in game game misconduct, high sticking game misconduct, fighting game misconduct), Daugherty Wallace (unsportsmanlike conduct misconduct), Francis Elora (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Skirving Elora (roughing major), Spear Elora (unsportsmanlike conduct misconduct), 18:28.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Kells (W, 36 shots-30 saves), Elora; Bell (L, 54:43, 52 shots-41 saves), Jacobs (5:17, 3 shots-1 save), Wallaceburg.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 2-4; Wallaceburg 1-1.
- Guelph Sports Journal