Mohawks left behind early, lose to Wallaceburg
ELORA – The Elora Mohawks fell too far behind to recover as they suffered their third loss in a week Saturday night when they were edged 10-8 by the Wallaceburg Red Devils at the Elora and District Community Centre.
Wallaceburg scored five times in the first seven and a half minutes of the game to grab a lead they would never relinquish. The Red Devils were up 6-3 at the end of the first period and 10-6 after the second.
Cole Spear and Ryan Mueller each collected hat tricks for the Mohawks while Klayton Hoelscher and Brett Harrison also scored. Josh Rex had three assists and Harrison, Hoelscher, Hyatt Welsh and Dean Sealey had two apiece and Mueller, Kevin Hutchison, Spear and Tyrus Rehanek had one each.
Wallaceburg got a goal apiece from 10 players — Marshall Powless, Corey Lucier, Carter Hastings, Jordan Goddard, Brock Daugherty, Tyler Brown, Kyle Dawson, Blain Adams, MacCoy Abrams and Korey Conroy. Brown assisted on four of the goals while single assists were awarded to Dawson, Goddard, Powless, Cory Burr, Adams, Hastings, Abrams, Tanner Cole, Bailey Skye and Aaron Underwood.
The Red Devils outshot the Mohawks 48-40, but were scoreless on eight power plays while Elora went 2-for-4 on its power play.
Landon Kells took the loss in net for Elora after relieving starter Matt Humphrey at 2:42 of the first after Wallaceburg’s third goal. Brayden Bell picked up the win for the Red Devils with 32 saves.
Wallaceburg is second in the Western Conference at 13-2-0 while the Mohawks and Windsor Clippers are tied for third at 11-3-0. Six Nations Rebels lead at 15-0-1.
The Mohawks are to be back on the floor Sunday when they host the Guelph Regals (3-11-1). Game time at the Elora and District Community Centre is 7 p.m.
Red Devils 10 Mohawks 8
1. Wallaceburg, Powless (Dawson, Goddard) 1:26
2. Wallaceburg, Lucier (Brown) 1:39
3. Wallaceburg, Hastings (Powless) 2:42
4. Wallaceburg, Goddard (Brown, Burr) 6:17
5. Wallaceburg, Daugherty (Adams) 7:24
6. Elora, Spear (Harrison, Rex) 8:31 pp
7. Wallaceburg, Brown (unassisted) 14:34
8. Elora, Hoelscher (Mueller, Hutchison) 18:49
9. Elora, Harrison (Rex, Spear) 19:24
Penalties: Kells Elora (illegal equipment), 2:42; Abrams Wallace (high sticking major), 4:14; Bench Elora (too many men), 4:34; Ristov Elora (high sticking), Hoelscher Elora (checking from behind double minor), 14:34.
10. Wallaceburg, Dawson (Brown, Hastings) 1:13
11. Elora, Mueller (Rex, Hoelscher) 2:06
12. Wallaceburg, Adams (Abrams) 2:24
13. Wallaceburg, Abrams (Brown, Cole) 6:28
14. Elora, Mueller (Welsh, Sealey) 8:40 pp
15. Elora, Spear (Harrison, Hoelscher) 9:54
16. Wallaceburg, Conroy (Skye, Underwood) 11:08
Penalties: Rex Elora (delay of game), 2:49; Abrams Wallace (checking from behind double minor), 7:47; Adams Wallace (high sticking), 12:57; Lebar Elora (high sticking), 13:50.
17. Elora, Mueller (Sealey, Rehanek) 1:20
18. Elora, Spear (Welsh) 8:53
Penalty: Bench Elora (delay of game), 19:08.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Bell (W, 40 shots-32 saves), Wallaceburg; Humphrey (L, 2:42, 6 shots-3 saves), Kells (57:18, 42 shots-35 saves), Elora.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Wallaceburg 0-8; Elora 2-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal