Mohawks pull away early for win in Owen Sound
OWEN SOUND – The Elora Mohawks struck for six goals in the first period on their way to a 12-4 victory over the Owen Sound North Stars in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Thursday night at the Bayshore Community Centre.
The win completes an unbeaten run through the first half of Elora’s 20-game regular season.
Elora scored the first eight goals of the game while Owen Sound was scoreless until just after the 12-minute mark of the second period.
Ryan Mueller and Kurtis Woodland scored four goals apiece for the Mohawks while Dean Sealey, Cole Spear, Tyrus Rehanek (playing in his first game with the Mohawks after being acquired from the Brampton Excelsiors last week) and Mitch Taylor each netted single goals. Hyatt Welsh collected five assists while Spear and Woodland had three each, Mueller, Sealey and Josh Rex had two apiece and Jack Francis, Taylor, Owen O’Donnell, goaltender Matt Humphrey and Rehanek had one each.
Hayden Coulter, Mike Fiegehen, Quinton Maddock and Brody Caskenette scored the goals for Owen Sound. Spencer Elder assisted on three of them while Caskenette, Dan Kitto, goalie Brady Lisk, Jon Frook and Fiegehen each had one assist.
Elora outshot Owen Sound 71-51 and went 4-for-5 on its power play while the hosts were scoreless in five power plays.
Humphrey made 47 saves to get the win in net for the Mohawks while Lisk took the loss for Owen Sound. He made 43 saves after replacing starter Wes Hamilton in the first period after Elora’s fourth goal.
The Mohawks lead the Mid West Division while Owen Sound (4-8-1) is third.
The game was the first of three in four days for the Mohawks as they’re to host the Point Edward Pacers (2-10-0) Friday at 7:30 p.m. and the Six Nations Rebels (12-0-0) Sunday at 7 p.m. Both games are to be played at the Elora and District Community Centre.
Mohawks 12 North Stars 4
1. Elora, Sealey (Spear, Mueller) 1:49
2. Elora, Spear (Welsh, Woodland) 5:45 pp
3. Elora, Rehanek (Sealey, Francis) 7:41
4. Elora, Taylor (Spear, Sealey) 8:43
5. Elora, Mueller (Taylor, Welsh) 13:10
6. Elora, Woodland (O’Donnell, Humphrey) 16:07
Penalties: Lavergne OS (slashing), 4:42; Francis Elora (interference), 13:46; Swanton OS (roughing), 18:39.
7. Elora, Woodland (Rehanek, Rex) 0:29 pp
8. Elora, Woodland (Mueller, Rex) 4:53
9. Owen Sound, Coulter (Caskenette, Elder) 12:04
10. Owen Sound, Fiegehen (Kitto, Lisk) 14:41 sh
11. Elora, Mueller (Woodland, Welsh) 15:41 pp
12. Elora, Mueller (Spear, Welsh) 18:15
13. Owen Sound, Maddock (Elder, Frook) 19:17
Penalties: Jolley Elora (holding), 1:57; Francis Elora (slashing), 6:58; Maddock OS (roughing), Hutchison Elora (roughing), 10:23; Lavergne OS (slashing), 14:04; Maddock OS (roughing), Hutchison Elora (roughing), 20:00.
14. Owen Sound, Caskenette (Elder, Fiegehen) 1:08
15. Elora, Mueller (Welsh, Woodland) 4:59 pp
16. Elora, Woodland (unassisted) 12:48 ea
Penalties: Swanton OS (roughing), 4:42; Sealey Elora (interference), 5:51; Ristov Elora (slashing), 7:26; Elder OS (high sticking), 12:48; Simmons OS (roughing), Welsh Elora (roughing), 16:31.
Shots on Goal
Owen Sound 13-31-7–51
Goalies: Humphrey (W, 51 shots-47 saves), Elora; Hamilton (8:43, 20 shots-16 saves), Lisk (L, 51 shots-43 saves), Owen Sound.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 4-5; Owen Sound 0-5.
- Guelph Sports Journal