Mohawks pull away to drop Point Edward
ELORA – Five unanswered goals in the third period allowed the Elora Mohawks to secure a 12-5 win over the Point Edward Pacers to remain undefeated in the Ontario junior B lacrosse league Friday night at the Elora and District Community Centre.
The game was a close one for the first two periods as the teams were tied 2-2 at the end of the first period and Elora led 7-5 after the second thanks to three consecutive goals in a span of just less than two and a half minutes in the first half of the period.
Cole Spear led the Mohawks with a four-goal outing while Josh Rex and Ryan Mueller scored twice each. Single goals were added by Kurtis Woodland, Klayton Hoelscher, Brett Harrison and Hyatt Welsh. Woodland assisted on seven of the goals while Welsh had three assists and Rex and Mitch Taylor each had two. Getting one assist apiece were Spear, A.J. Skirving, Noah Lebar, Brett Harrison, Kevin Hutchison, Tyrus Rehanek, Harrison, Mueller and Hoelscher.
Blain Adams and Jakob Knowles scored twice each for Point Edward and Kevin Durco scored the other goal. Jack Dunn assisted on two of the goals and goaltender Keegan Bell, Nate Armstrong, Knowles, Korey Conroy and Ethan Parkhouse each had one assist.
The Mohawks outshot the Pacers 57-28 and they made the most of their power-play opportunities, hitting for four goals on six power plays. Point Edward didn’t score on either of its power plays.
Matt Humphrey made 23 saves in the Elora net for the win while Bell made 45 saves in the loss for Point Edward.
The win was the 11th in as many league outings for the Mohawks while Point Edward fell to 2-11-0. It also leaves the Mohawks a maximum of two wins away from clinching a playoff berth in the Western Conference.
Next up for the Mohawks is a battle of the league’s only unbeaten squads as they’re to host the Six Nations Rebels (13-0-0) Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Elora and District Community Centre.
Mohawks 12 Pacers 5
1. Point Edward, Adams (Dunn, Bell) 7:39
2. Elora, Rex (Welsh, Woodland) 8:53
3. Point Edward, Durco (Armstrong, Knowles) 14:56
4. Elora, Woodland (Rex, Spear) 16:15 pp
Penalty: McKegan PE (holding), 15:22.
5. Elora, Mueller (Skirving, Lebar) 3:30
6. Point Edward, Knowles (Conroy) 5:35 sh
7. Elora, Rex (Woodland, Harrison) 6:39
8. Elora, Spear (Welsh, Woodland) 8:39 pp
9. Elora, Hoelscher (Hutchison, Taylor) 9:03
10. Point Edward, Knowles (Dunn, Parkhouse) 12:48
11. Point Edward, Adams (unassisted) 13:41
12. Elora, Spear (Welsh) 19:29
Penalties: Lebar Elora (high sticking), 1:24; Adams PE (high sticking), 4:33; Spear Elora (roughing), Thorpe PE (roughing), 4:46; McKegan PE (holding), 7:04; Adams PE (slashing), Rex Elora (slashing), 9:48; Lippiat PE (interference), 10:03; Mussico PE (roughing), Rex Elora (roughing), 18:08.
13. Elora, Spear (Woodland, Rehanek) 0:42
14. Elora, Mueller (Woodland, Harrison) 3:15
15. Elora, Spear (Woodland, Mueller) 6:28
16. Elora, Harrison (Hoelscher, Taylor) 9:50 pp
17. Elora, Welsh (Woodland, Rex) 13:23 pp
Penalties: Lewis Elora (slashing), 0:49; Parkhouse PE (butt-ending major), 7:48; McKegan PE (slashing), 13:08.
Shots on Goal
Point Edward 8-15-5–28
Goalies: Bell (L, 57 shots-45 saves), Point Edward; Humphrey (W, 28 shots-23 saves), Elora.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Point Edward 0-2; Elora 4-6.
- Guelph Sports Journal