Mohawks ride six-goal runs to one-sided victory
WELLAND – The Elora Mohawks had a pair of six-goal runs on their way to a 17-4 victory over the Welland Generals in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Saturday night at the Welland arena.
The Mohawks scored the first six goals of both the first and second periods. They led 6-1 after the first and 12-2 after the second.
Elora outshot Welland 57-40 and went 4-for-12 on its power play while Welland went 3-for-4.
Kurtis Woodland struck for six goals for the Mohawks while Eric Egan had a hat trick and Dawson Bolger scored twice. Single goals were added by Justin Beaulieu, Hyatt Welsh, Klayton Hoelscher, Cody Stannard, Adam Lantz and Dean Sealey. Hoelscher had six assists while Woodland and Stannard had three each, Beaulieu, Welsh and Dawson Bolger had two each and goalkeeper Matt Humphrey, Curtis Hall, Egan, Jack Francis and Sealey had one apiece.
Zach Main netted two goals for Welland while Brandon Porga and Tanner Main also scored. Sam LeClair had three assists.
Humphrey picked up the win for Elora while Nick LaBrash took the loss for Welland.
The win leaves the Mohawks at 10-4-0. They’re to host the Owen Sound North Stars (7-6-0) Sunday at 7 p.m.
The loss drops Welland to 2-9-0. They’re to play the Guelph Regals (2-10-0) Sunday at the Sleeman Centre. Game time is 7 p.m.
Mohawks 17 Generals 4
1. Elora, Stannard (Hall) 2:38
2. Elora, Hoelscher (unassisted) 5:14
3. Elora, Egan (Sealey, Beaulieu) 5:47
4. Elora, D.Bolger (Woodland, Hoelscher) 10:43
5. Elora, Woodland (Egan, Humphrey) 13:54
6. Elora, Woodland (Hoelscher, Welsh) 15:10 pp
7. Welland, Porga (Thoms, Miller) 18:03
Penalties: T.Main Well (holding), 8:39; Fournier-Higgins Well (slashing major), 12:03; Hoelscher Elora (slashing), 12:50.
8. Elora, Beaulieu (Woodland, Stannard) 5:52
9. Elora, Woodland (Welsh, Hoelscher) 6:20
10. Elora, Egan (Woodland) 8:39
11. Elora, Sealey (Beaulieu) 10:05
12. Elora, Welsh (Hoelscher) 11:57
13. Elora, Egan (D.Bolger, Stannard) 13:23
14. Welland, Z.Main (LeClair, T.Main) 14:34 pp
Penalties: Z.Main Well (roughing), N.Bolger Elora (roughing), 8:26; Savoury Well (holding), 10:11; Porga Well (abuse of officials misconduct), 13:23; Hall Elora (holding), 14:13; Janes Well (illegal cross checking), 17:00; Lewis Elora (holding), 19:44.
15. Welland, Z.Main (Fournier-Higgins, LeClair) 1:37 pp
16. Elora, Lantz (Stannard) 9:12 pp
17. Elora, Woodland (Francis) 11:26
18. Elora, D.Bolger (Hoelscher) 12:24 pp
19. Welland, T.Main (LeClair, Porga) 14:51 pp
20. Elora, Woodland (D.Bolger) 17:14
21. Elora, Woodland (Hoelscher) 18:15 pp
Penalties: Miller Well (checking from behind double minor), 5:21; Geoffroy Well (roughing), Hutchison Elora (roughing), 7:52; LeClair Well (slashing), 8:59; Coughlin Elora (illegal cross checking), Marinier Well (facemask), 10:36; LeClair Well (slashing), 11:26; Savoury Well (illegal cross checking), 11:47; O’Donnell Elora (high sticking), 13:53; Hutchison Elora (high sticking), 14:26; Peterson Well (illegal cross checking), 17:46.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Humphrey (W, 40 shots-36 saves), Elora; LaBrash (L, 29 shots-21 saves), Rombough (6:20 of second, 28 shots-19 saves), Welland.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 4-12; Welland 3-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal