Mohawks run away with opening game of final
HAMPTON – The Elora Mohawks opened the Ontario Junior B Lacrosse League’s championship series with a 13-5 victory over the Green Gaels of Clarington Friday night at the Darlington Sports Centre.
The teams started off slowly as they scored a goal apiece in the first period before the Mohawks ran to a 9-2 lead by the end of the second. The teams were tied 2-2 after six minutes of play in the second and Elora never trailed in the game.
Individual statistics were not available for the third period.
Cole Spear and Kurtis Woodland each recorded hat tricks for the Mohawks while Hyatt Welsh had a pair of goals. Jonah White, Klayton Hoelscher, Nathan Bolger, Dean Sealey and Zach Cameron each had single goals. Woodland assisted on five of the goals while Hoelscher and Spear each had four assists, Sealey had two and Noah Lebar, Mason Noble, A.J. Skirving, Tyrus Rehanek, Chris Jolley and Bolger each had one.
Owen Boyle scored twice for the Gaels while Brock Haley, Jeremy McWatters, Bryce Tolmie each added single goals. McWatters and Brock Strong collected two assists apiece and Haley, Boyle, Graeme McCrory and Matt Shand each had one assist.
The Mohawks were outshot 59-37, but went 2-for-7 on their power play and held the Gaels scoreless on seven power plays.
Landon Kells picked up the win in net for Elora as he made 54 saves.
Steven Walsh took the loss for Clarington as he had 19 saves in the opening two periods. Brett Underwood played the third and had five saves.
Second game of the best-of-five series is slated for Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Elora and District Community Centre.
The remainder of the series has also been scheduled.
Game 3 is to go at Hampton Tuesday at 8 p.m. while Game 4, if it’s needed, is to be played at Elora Thursday. If the series goes five games, the championship-deciding game is slated for Friday at Hampton at 8 p.m.
Mohawks 13 Green Gaels 5
1. Elora, Spear (Woodland) 3:18
2. Clarington, Haley (McWatters) 15:24
Penalties: Ristov Elora (holding), 3:51; Houston Clar (slashing), 10:08; Bench Elora (too many men), 13:02.
3. Elora, Woodland (Rehanek, Bolger) 2:14
4. Clarington, Boyle (McWatters, Strong) 2:34
5. Elora, Bolger (Skirving, Noble) 6:04
6. Elora, Hoelscher (Woodland, Spear) 10:04
7. Elora, Sealey (Woodland, Hoelscher) 11:27 ea
8. Elora, Spear (Jolley) 15:00 sh
9. Elora, White (unassisted) 15:39 sh
10. Elora, Spear (Woodland, Hoelscher) 18:03 pp
11. Elora, Welsh (Hoelscher, Sealey) 19:24
Penalties: McCrory Clar (slashing), 4:35; Jolley Elora (holding), 5:04; Bench Clar (too many men), 7:10; Spear Elora (interference), 7:47; Lebar Elora (slashing), 14:02; McCrory Clar (holding), 17:57.
12. Clarington, McWatters (Haley, Boyle) 0:52
13. Elora, Woodland (Lebar) 3:08 sh
14. Elora, Cameron (Spear, Hoelscher) 6:34
15. Elora, Woodland (Spear, Sealey) 7:33
16. Clarington, Tolmie (Strong) 8:34
17. Clarington, Boyle (McCrory, Shand) 9:48
18. Elora, Welsh (Spear, Woodland) 18:42
Penalties: Cameron Elora (checking from behind double minor) 1:24; Jolley Elora (holding) 12:25; Rex Elora (roughing) 16:41; Turner Clar (roughing) 16:43; Strong Clar (holding) 18:10; Lundy Clar (high sticking major) 19:18.
Shots on Goal
Elora 10 18 9 — 37
Clarington 16 13 30 — 59
Goalies: Kells (W, 59 shots-54 saves), Elora; Walsh (L, 40:00, 28 shots-19 saves), Underwood (20:00, 9 shots-5 saves), Clarington.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 2-7; Clarington 0-7.
- Guelph Sports Journal