Mohawks start fast as they take Founders Cup opener
AKWESASNE, Ont. – The Elora Mohawks opened the Founders Cup tournament by doubling the host Mohawk Medicine Men Tuesday.
The Mohawks completed the opening day of the Canadian junior B lacrosse championship tournament with a 16-8 victory in a humid A’nowara’ko:wa Arena.
Elora jumped ahead early as the Mohawks were ahead 8-1 at the end of the first period thanks to a spree of five goals in a span of five minutes and 15 seconds in the final seven minutes of the period.
The Mohawks also led 10-5 at the end of the second.
Kurtis Woodland struck for six goals for the Mohawks while Cole Spear had a hat trick, all in the third period. Josh Rex added a pair of goals while single goals were netted by Dean Sealey, Jack Francis, A.J. Skirving, Klayton Hoelsher and Hyatt Welsh. Tyrus Rehanek assisted on six of the goals while Spear and Woodland each had four assists, Sealey and Welsh had two apiece and Hoelscher, Mason Noble, Jonah White, Rex and Brett Harrison had one each.
Mitch Laffin, Isaac Thrasher and Tommy Thomas each had two goals for the Medicine Men while Josh Huiatt and Aidan Conlon scored once each. Laffin collected four assists while single assists were awarded to Conlon, Tommy Thomas, Abram Garrow, Thrasher, Dylan Lyons, Cody Moore, Gavin Hill and Huiatt.
Landon Kells was in net most of the way for the Mohawks, but was replaced by Matt Humphrey for the final 2:50 of the game after getting shaken up making a save.
Vinny Tucci took the loss in net for the Medicine Men. He was relieved by Keaton Johnson at 15:43 of the third period.
The Mohawks are in the tournament as the champions of the Ontario junior B league while the Medicine Men, who went 2-9-0 in the First Nations Junior B Lacrosse League’s regular season, are in as hosts.
In other games of the opening day, the Manitoba Blizzard defeated the Saskatchewan Swat 10-6, Calgary Shamrocks dropped the North Shore Kodiaks 13-6 and Seneca War Chiefs downed the Coquitlam Adanacs 12-5.
Wednesday, the Mohawks are to play the Manitoba Blizzard at 2 p.m. and they’re to wrap up the preliminary round Thursday with a match against Saskatchewan Swat at 11 a.m.
Semifinals are set for Friday and the medal games are to go Saturday.
Mohawks 16 Medicine Men 8
1. Elora, Sealey (Spear, Rehanek) 2:04
2. Medicine Men, Laffin (Conlon) 3:05
3. Elora, Woodland (Spear) 3:39 sh
4. Elora, Woodland (Hoelscher, Noble) 5:23
5. Elora, Woodland (Sealey, Welsh) 13:09
6. Elora, Rex (Woodland) 14:28
7. Elora, Rex (Sealey, Rehanek) 15:36
8. Elora, Francis (unassisted) 17:05 pp
9. Elora, Woodland (Rehanek, Welsh) 18:24
Penalties: Moore MMM (cross checking), 3:22; McLochlan MMM (high sticking), 5:06; S.Thomas MMM (interference), 16:00; Bench Elora (too many men), 19:14.
10. Medicine Men, Thrasher (T.Thomas, Laffin) 6:16 pp
11. Medicine Men, Huiatt (Laffin, Garrow) 11:08
12. Elora, Woodland (Spear, Rehanek) 11:49
13. Elora, Skirving (White) 13:26 sh
14. Medicine Men, Conlon (Laffin) 14:53 pp
15. Medicine Men, Laffin (Thrasher) 16:22
Penalties: Zeller MMM (slashing), 2:35; Skirving Elora (unsportsmanlike conduct), 5:48; Moore MMM (high sticking), 6:29; Lebar Elora (holding), 7:11; Bench MMM (too many men), 8:25; Lewis Elora (high sticking), 12:53; Sealey Elora (tripping), 14:24; Moore MMM (high sticking), 15:56; Zeller MMM (slashing), 16:45; Shenandoah MMM (slashing), 17:56.
16. Elora, Spear (Rex) 0:36
17. Medicine Men, T.Thomas (Lyons) 1:20
18. Elora, Spear (Woodland, Rehanek) 2:03
19. Elora, Welsh (Woodland) 5:19
20. Elora, Spear (Rehanek, Woodland) 6:46
21. Medicine Men, T.Thomas (Moore, Laffin) 7:26
22. Elora, Welsh (Spear) 7:45
23. Elora, Woodland (Harrison) 8:36
24. Medicine Men, Thrasher (Hill, Huiatt) 18:26 sh
Penalties: Rehanek Elora (roughing), 12:26; S.Thomas MMM (roughing), 14:26; Conlon MMM (holding), Lewis Elora (roughing), 16:43; S.Thomas MMM (high sticking), 17:37; S.Thomas MMM (slashing), 20:00.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Kells (W), Humphrey, Elora; Tucci (L), Johnson, Medicine Men.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Elora 1-12; Medicine Men 2-5.
- Guelph Sports Journal