Mohawks top Manitoba to secure berth in national semifinals
AKWESASNE, Ont. – The Elora Mohawks claimed their second one-sided victory in the Founders Cup Canadian junior B lacrosse championship tournament Wednesday at the A’nowara’ko:wa Arena.
The Mohawks scored six times in the first 10 minutes on their way to a 17-8 victory over the Manitoba Blizzard.
The win assures the Mohawks a place in the tournament’s semifinals Friday.
As Ontario champions, Elora’s the tournament favourite. Ontario teams have won the national tournament every year since 2010 and 48 times in the tournament’s 54-year history, including five by the Mohawks – 1964, 1967, 1968, 1976 and 2005.
Wednesday, the Mohawks led 8-3 at the end of the first period and 13-6 after the second period.
The Mohawks hit for four power-play goals and a shorthanded marker while Manitoba had one power-play score. Elora was also called for 12 minutes in penalties while the Blizzard was whistled for 16.
Matt Humphrey picked up the win in net for the Mohawks while Manitoba’s Kody Johnson was tagged with the loss.
Kurtis Woodland connected for five goals for Elora while Ryan Mueller had four, Klayton Hoelscher and Cole Spear netted two apiece and Hyatt Welsh, Zach Cameron, Josh Rex and Jack Francis had one each. Woodland assisted on six of the goals while Welsh had five assists, Hoelscher had three, Mueller and Dean Sealey had two each and Spear, Rex and Cameron each had one.
Colin Poitras hit for five goals for Manitoba while Kelson Borisenko, Garrett Depape and Andy Szun also scored. Getting two assists apiece were Borisenko, Szun, Troy Grutowski and Poitras while Cole Wasnie and Blaze Bezecki had one each.
The Mohawks are to complete their preliminary pool play Thursday with an 11 a.m. match against the winless Saskatchewan Swat who lost 15-6 to the Mohawk Medicine Men Wednesday, a team the Mohawks defeated 16-8 Tuesday. Manitoba downed Saskatchewan 10-6 on the opening day of the tournament.
Elora is 2-0 in their group while Manitoba and the Medicine Men are each at 1-1 and Saskatchewan is at 0-2.
In the other pool Wednesday, the Coquitlam Adanacs downed the North Shore Kodiaks 12-5 while the Seneca War Chiefs and Calgary Shamrocks were to play in the late game.
The semifinals are set for Friday and the medal games are scheduled for Saturday.
Mohawks 17 Blizzard 8
1. Elora, Welsh (Mueller) 1:04 pp
2. Elora, Cameron (Sealey, Woodland) 1:43
3. Elora, Mueller (Woodland, Welsh) 3:46 sh
4. Elora, Spear (Woodland) 5:20
5. Elora, Hoelscher (Welsh, Spear) 9:10
6. Elora, Woodland (Rex, Mueller) 10:00
7. Manitoba, Poitras (Borisenko) 10:53
8. Elora, Hoelscher (Woodland) 11:55
9. Elora, Mueller (Woodland, Welsh) 13:45 pp
10. Manitoba, Poitras (unassisted) 17:30
11. Manitoba, Poitras (Wasnie, Szun) 19:20 sh
Penalties: Mulvaney Mtb (cross checking), 0:37; Lebar Elora (holding), 2:43; Grutowski Mtb (cross checking), 13:18; Poponick Mtb (cross checking), 18:08.
12. Elora, Rex (Cameron) 0:36
13. Manitoba, Ritchie (Grutowski, Poitras) 5:29 pp
14. Elora, Woodland (unassisted) 8:04
15. Manitoba, Depape (unassisted) 8:19
16. Elora, Spear (unassisted) 10:51
17. Manitoba, Poitras (Grutowski) 12:37
18. Elora, Francis (unassisted) 14:19
19. Elora, Spear (Hoelscher) 19:53 sh
Penalties: Columbus Elora (slashing), 4:19; Ristov Elora (slashing), 5:18; Depape Mtb (cross checking), 17:53; Ristov Elora (cross checking), 19:00.
20. Elora, Mueller (Welsh, Hoelscher) 2:52 pp
21. Elora, Mueller (Woodland, Hoelscher) 4:58 pp
22. Elora, Woodland (Welsh) 6:37
23. Manitoba, Poitras (Szun, Borisenko) 6:49
24. Manitoba, Szun (Bezecki, Poitras) 13:44 pp
25. Elora, Woodland (Sealey) 16:05
Penalties: Poponick Mtb (delay of game), Depape Mtb (unsportsmanlike conduct), 2:29; Grutowski Mtb (delay of game), 4:50; Borisenko Mtb (holding), 7:56; Lebar Elora (holding), 8:59; Bench Mtb (too many men), 9:43; Bench Elora (too many men), 12:25; Lewis Elora (holding), 18:57.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Humphrey (W), Elora; Johnson (L), Manitoba.
Power-Plays (goals-chances): Elora 4-10; Manitoba 2-6.
- Guelph Sports Journal