Quick start carries Thistles to victory
ELORA – The Fergus Thistles struck for the first four goals of the game and that proved to be the difference as they defeated the Oakville Buzz 15-11 in Ontario junior C lacrosse play Friday night at the Elora and District Community Centre.
The Thistles scored those four goals in the first 12 minutes of the game on their way to a 5-2 lead at the end of the first. Thanks to five goals in a stretch of just over five minutes in the second period, the Thistles were up 12-7 at the end of the middle frame.
Brett Harrison and Nick Aitchison each had hat tricks for Fergus while Adam Lantz, Trent Spear, Carson Stevenson and J.J. Swanston each netted two goals. Logan Cameron scored the other goal while Justin Beaulieu and Lantz each had six assists. Harrison had three assists and Spear, Cameron, Aitchison, goalie Kent Bremner and Stevenson had two each and Alex Bachly, Jonah White, Ryan Litt and Tyler Heally had one apiece.
Alex Kew scored four times for Oakville and Zander Alsace, James Gabura, Thomas MacDonald, Oliver Beckett, Jeremy Clark, Graydon Power and Grant Patterson each scored once. Jack Travassos assisted on five of the goals and Patterson had four assists, Kew three and Matt Hodowany and Vincent Milantoni one each.
The Thistles outshot the Buzz 58-30 and went 2-for-10 on their power play while Oakville went 3-for-7 and also had two shorthanded goals.
Bremner stopped 19 shots for the win for Fergus while Matt Hodowany was charged with the loss for Oakville.
Fergus evened its record at 2-2-0 with the win while the loss was the first of the season for Oakville after the Buzz started the campaign with two wins.
The game was also the first of four consecutive home games for the Thistles who are to host the Mimico Mountaineers (3-1-0) Sunday at 7 p.m., Brantford Warriors (1-2-0) Tuesday at 8 p.m. and Caledon Bandits (0-3-0) May 18 at 8 p.m. Those three games are to be played at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex in Fergus.
Thistles 15 Buzz 11
1. Fergus, Harrison (Beaulieu, Lantz) 0:47
2. Fergus, Lantz (Bachly, Beaulieu) 5:09
3. Fergus, Aitchison (Spear, Cameron) 9:49
4. Fergus, Spear (Lantz, Aitchison) 11:55
5. Oakville, Kew (Patterson, Travassos) 13:59
6. Fergus, Stevenson (Aitchison) 15:01
7. Oakville, Alsace (unassisted) 18:50 sh
Penalties: Roberts Ferg (slashing), 2:24; Deitweiler Ferg (roughing), Clark Oak (roughing), 10:13; Patterson Oak (high sticking), Clark Oak (roughing), 16:14; Clark Oak (unsportsmanlike conduct), 18:14.
8. Oakville, Gabura (Hodowany) 1:58 sh
9. Fergus, Spear (Lantz, White) 5:32 pp
10. Fergus, Aitchison (Lantz, Harrison) 7:48
11. Oakville, Kew (Patterson, Travassos) 8:16 pp
12. Oakville, MacDonald (unassisted) 9:26
13. Fergus, Cameron (Harrison, Bremner) 11:13
14. Fergus, Stevenson (Lantz, Bremner) 11:52
15. Fergus, Harrison (Beaulieu, Lantz) 13:14
16. Fergus, Swanston (Litt, Harrison) 14:58
17. Fergus, Harrison (Beaulieu, Spear) 16:19 pp
18. Oakville, Beckett (unassisted) 17:53
19. Oakville, Clark (Travassos, Kew) 19:47
Penalties: Ristivojevic Oak (high sticking major), 1:28; Doherty Oak (checking from behind), 4:41; Doherty Oak (checking from behind), 5:32; Hayne Ferg (delay of game), 7:54; Roberts Ferg (high sticking), Patterson Oak (unsportsmanlike conduct), 12:57; Doherty Oak (cross checking), 14:58; Beaulieu Ferg (slashing), Brown Oak (slashing), 17:19; Spear Ferg (slashing), 17:53.
20. Oakville, Power (Kew) 4:39
21. Oakville, Patterson (Kew, Vincent Milantoni) 7:50 pp
22. Fergus, Aitchison (Beaulieu, Stevenson) 8:25
23. Fergus, Swanston (Stevenson, Beaulieu) 9:45
24. Oakville, Kew (Patterson, Travassos) 11:09
25. Oakville, Kew (Travassos, Patterson) 12:52 pp
26. Fergus, Lantz (Heally, Cameron) 13:05
Penalties: Bauman Ferg (cross checking), 5:42; Beaulieu Ferg (slashing), 6:23; Beaulieu Ferg (high sticking), 12:34; MacDonald Oak (checking from behind double minor), 13:05; Deitweiler Ferg (holding), 14:08; Litt Ferg (roughing), Patterson Oak (roughing), 15:50; Deitweiler Ferg (roughing major), Clark Oak (roughing, roughing major), 19:18.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Hodowany (L, 58 shots-43 saves), Oakville; Bremner (W, 30 shots-19 saves), Fergus.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Oakville 3-7; Fergus 2-10.
- Guelph Sports Journal