Regals clipped in OT by Blue Devils
LONDON – Jarrad Hill’s goal two and a half minutes into overtime lifted the London Blue Devils to a 7-6 win over the Guelph Regals in Ontario Junior B lacrosse league play Thursday night at the Nichols Recreation Centre.
The overtime goal put London ahead for the first time in the game.
The Regals got off to a quick start when Mitch Taylor scored a natural hat trick – three consecutive goals – in the first five and a half minutes of the game. The Regals led 3-1 at the end of the first period and 6-5 after the second, but London tied it at 8:04 of the third with that period’s only goal.
Taylor finished the game with four goals for the Regals while Grant Patterson and Carter McGrath scored the other ones. Ethan Harkins had three assists while Aiden Marroni and Liam Holwell each had two and single assists were awarded to Carter TenEycke, Marcus Keleher, Matthew Vilas, Patterson and Taylor.
Patrick Hogan, Damon Doxtator and Jon Perry-Smith each scored twice for London while Jarrad Hill had the overtime winner. Getting two assists each were Perry-Smith, Ryan Hill and Hogan and Robert Morgan, Doxtator, Aden Antone, Dougie Powless, Blake Goris and Richard Imus each had one assist.
The Regals outshot London 52-49 and penalties weren’t a concern for either team as there were only three called in the match. The Regals didn’t score on their lone power play while London went 1-for-2.
Hayden Finoro took the loss in the Guelph net in his first outing of the season. He had 42 saves while London’s winning goaltender had 46.
The game was the first of three games in four days for the Regals. They’re to host the Niagara Thunderhawks Friday at 8 p.m. at the Victoria Road arena and play the Wallaceburg Red Devils in Dresden Sunday at 6 p.m.
x-Six Nations Rebels 11-0-0
x-Hamilton Bengals 9-1-1
x-Windsor Clippers 7-2-2
Elora Mohawks 7-2-1
Owen Sound North Stars 6-6-1
St. Catharines Spartans 5-6-0
Niagara Thunderhawks 4-4-1
Point Edward Pacers 4-7-0
London Blue Devils 4-9-0
Wallaceburg Red Devils 3-7-1
Guelph Regals 3-8-1
Welland Generals 0-11-0
x — division leader
Blue Devils 7 Regals 6
1. Guelph, Mitch Taylor (Carter TenEycke, Aiden Marroni) 1:50
2. Guelph, Mitch Taylor (Marcus Keleher, Matthew Vilas) 4:16
3. Guelph, Mitch Taylor (Ethan Harkins, Liam Holwell) 5:29
4. London, Patrick Hogan (Jon Perry-Smith, Robert Morgan) 10:19
Penalty: Carter TenEycke Gue (delay of game), 5:46.
5. London, Damon Doxtator (Jon Perry-Smith, Ryan Hill) 1:16
6. Guelph, Grant Patterson (Ethan Harkins, Aiden Marroni) 1:55
7. London, Patrick Hogan (Damon (AP) Doxtator, Ryan Hill) 6:44
8. Guelph, Mitch Taylor (Liam Holwell, Grant Patterson) 8:10
9. London, Jon Perry-Smith (Aden Antone) 12:55
10. Guelph, Carter McGrath (Ethan Harkins, Mitch Taylor) 15:42
11. London, Damon Doxtator (Patrick Hogan, Dougie Powless) 19:58 pp
Penalties: Jarrad Hill Ldn (illegal cross checking), 7:27; Cam Wheeldon Gue (illegal cross checking), 18:39.
12. London, Jon Perry-Smith (Patrick Hogan, Blake Goris) 8:04
13. London, Jarrad Hill (Richard Imus) 2:32
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Hayden Finoro (L, 49 shots-42 saves), Guelph; Dougie Powless (W, 52 shots-46 saves), London.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 0-1; London 1-2.
- Guelph Sports Journal