Regals jump ahead early in win over Wallaceburg
GUELPH – Three consecutive goals in the first period gave the Guelph Regals a lead they wouldn’t relinquish and they went on to down the Wallaceburg Red Devils 11-6 in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Saturday night at the Victoria Road arena.
Liam Holwell’s goal midway through the first put the hosts ahead for good. They led 4-1 at the end of the first period and 7-3 after the second. While the Regals never trailed in the game, Wallaceburg did get the gap down to two goals with just over eight and a half minutes to go in the third, but the Regals responded to that threat with three more goals to wrap up the scoring.
Shane Halliwell connected for four goals for the Regals while Marcus Keleher added two and Mitch Taylor, Holwell, Michael Blaymires, Ethan Keleher and Josh Fairey each had one. Ethan Keleher also had four assists while Blaymires had three, Halliwell, Marcus Keleher and Matthew Vilas had two apiece and Aiden Marroni, goaltender Brady Wilson, Taylor and Gavin Lang each had one.
Tanner Cole had a hat trick for Wallaceburg while Riley Roe scored twice and Preston Whiteye netted the other goal. Landon Allaer assisted on three of the goals and Roe and Shawn Noah Glover collected two assists apiece and Cole, Cecil Jacobs, Whiteye and Cam Bechard each had one.
The Regals outshot Wallaceburg 51-33 and both teams went 2-for-4 on their power plays.
Wilson had 27 saves to get the win in the Guelph net while Cecil Jacobs turned aside 40 shots in the Wallaceburg net.
The win was the third in four games for the Regals as they bounced back from a 9-4 loss to the Hamilton Bengals in Hamilton Thursday night. The result leaves both teams at 3-4-1.
The Regals are to play their third game in four days Sunday when they tangle with the Elora Mohawks (5-2-1) at the Elora and District Community Centre Sunday night.
That game will also be the third game in four days for the Mohawks who defeated the Owen Sound North Stars 11-9 Thursday and lost 8-4 to the Niagara Thunderhawks Friday. Both were away games.
Game time Sunday is 7 p.m.
Regals 11 Red Devils 6
1. Guelph, Mitch Taylor (Ethan Keleher, Michael Blaymires) 1:10
2. Wallaceburg, Tanner Cole (Riley Roe, Shawn Noah Glover) 2:28
3. Guelph, Liam Holwell (Shane Halliwell, Aiden Marroni) 9:46
4. Guelph, Michael Blaymires (Marcus Keleher, Shane Halliwell) 16:14
5. Guelph, Marcus Keleher (unassisted) 19:17
Penalty: Jack Burke Gue (illegal cross checking), 16:55.
6. Guelph, Ethan Keleher (Brady Wilson) 4:01
7. Wallaceburg, Tanner Cole (Riley Roe, Landon Allaer) 8:47
8. Guelph, Shane Halliwell (Mitch Taylor, Gavin Lang) 9:31
9. Guelph, Josh Fairey (unassisted) 15:16
10. Wallaceburg, Preston Whiteye (Landon Allaer, Tanner Cole) 16:16 pp
Penalty: Jack Burke Gue (checking from behind double minor), 15:45.
11. Wallaceburg, Riley Roe (Cecil Jacobs) 3:02 sh
12. Guelph, Shane Halliwell (Ethan Keleher, Marcus Keleher) 8:33 pp
13. Wallaceburg, Tanner Cole (Landon Allaer, Preston Whiteye) 9:52
14. Wallaceburg, Riley Roe (Cam Bechard, Shawn Noah Glover) 11:20 pp
15. Guelph, Shane Halliwell (Matthew Vilas, Ethan Keleher) 11:48
16. Guelph, Marcus Keleher (Michael Blaymires, Ethan Keleher) 14:23 pp
17. Guelph, Shane Halliwell (Matthew Vilas, Michael Blaymires) 18:16
Penalties: Riley Parker Wall (roughing), 1:37; Aaron Underwood Wall (boarding major), 3:59; Carter TenEycke Gue (holding), 10:55; Matt Cousins Wall (high sticking), Austin Salisbury Wall (high sticking major, high sticking game misconduct), 13:09.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Cecil Jacobs (L, 51 shots-40 saves), Wallaceburg; Brady Wilson (W, 33 shots-27 saves), Guelph.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Wallaceburg 2-4; Guelph 2-4
- Guelph Sports Journal