Regals slip by Point Edward in overtime
GUELPH – Liam Holwell opened and closed the scoring for the Guelph Regals as they edged the Point Edward Pacers 11-10 in overtime in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Wednesday night at the Sleeman Centre.
Holwell scored the winner after three minutes of overtime with the only goal of the extra 10-minute period. He had also opened the scoring in the see-saw game at 1:47 of the first.
Both teams had at least one turn in the lead between those two goals. Twice the Regals led by two goals, but Point Edward pulled even both times. The Pacers never led by more than a goal, their last lead coming when Jack Dunn put them ahead 10-9 with just less than seven minutes to go in regulation time.
Cohen Campbell squared the score and forced the overtime when he scored for the Regals just two minutes after Dunn’s goal.
Guelph led 4-3 at the end of the first period and the teams were tied 7-7 at the end of the second.
Point Edward outshot the Regals 54-47 and went 2-for-4 on their power play while the Regals went 1-for-2.
Holwell struck for six goals for the Regals while Ben Heidecker had three goals and six assists. Kent Radbourne and Campbell each had a goal and two assists while Shane Holiwell had three assists and Zach Gimmer, Quenton Begin and Braydon Hickey each had one assist.
Cory Burr connected for four goals and four assists for Point Edward while Jack Dunn had three goals and an assist. Cole Wilkinson, Lucas Knowles and Kevin Durco added one goal apiece while Blain Adams had three assists, Josh Barraclough had two and Dunn, Jacob Caughlin, Durco and Wilkinson had one each.
Brady Wilson picked up the win in net for the Regals while Brayden Bell took the loss for Point Edward.
The result left the Regals at 3-12-0 and Point Edward at 7-9-0. The Regals are to play the Orangeville Northmen (14-2-0) at Orangeville’s Alder Street Arena Thursday at 8 p.m.
Regals 11 Pacers 10 (OT)
1. Guelph, Holwell (Heidecker, Radbourne) 1:47
2. Point Edward, Burr (Adams, Dunn) 7:50 pp
3. Point Edward, Dunn (Caughlin, Durco) 14:43
4. Guelph, Holwell (Radbourne) 16:00 pp
5. Guelph, Heidecker (unassisted) 16:05
6. Guelph, Radbourne (Gimmer, Begin) 19:23
7. Point Edward, Burr (Barraclough) 19:50
Penalties: Burke Gue (illegal cross checking), 6:47; McKegan PtE (holding), 15:01.
8. Point Edward, Dunn (Burr) 4:16
9. Guelph, Heidecker (Holiwell) 4:51
10. Guelph, Holwell (Campbell, Heidecker) 8:37
11. Point Edward, Burr (unavailable) 8:48
12. Point Edward, Wilkinson (Adams, Burr) 12:33
13. Guelph, Heidecker (Campbell) 13:02
14. Point Edward, Burr (Adams) 16:08 pp
Penalties: Burke Gue (holding), 5:27; Holiwell Gue (too many men), 15:55; Bradley Gue (unsportsmanlike conduct, unsportsmanlike conduct misconduct), 16:08.
15. Guelph, Holwell (Heidecker, Holiwell) 6:49
16. Point Edward, Knowles (Burr, Wilkinson) 11:17
17. Guelph, Holwell (Heidecker, Hickey) 12:19
18. Point Edward, Durco (Burr) 12:32
19. Point Edward, Dunn (Barraclough) 13:02
20. Guelph, Campbell (Holiwell, Heidecker) 15:06
Penalty: McKegan PtE (roughing), 2:24.
21. Guelph, Holwell (Heidecker) 3:01
Penalty: Dunn PtE (roughing), 6:54.
Shots on Goal: Point Edward 54; Guelph 47.
Goalies: Bell (L, 47 shots-36 saves), Point Edward; Wilson (W, 54 shots-44 saves), Guelph.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Point Edward 2-4; Guelph 1-2.
- Guelph Sports Journal