Regals sunk by Owen Sound’s quick pair in third period
OWEN SOUND – A pair of goals 21 seconds apart early in the third period pushed the Owen Sound North Stars into a lead they wouldn’t relinquish as they slipped by the Guelph Regals 10-8 Thursday in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play at the Bayshore Community Centre.
The teams were tied 2-2 at the end of the first period before Owen Sound jumped ahead 7-5 by the end of the second. The Regals tied it with a pair of goals in the first five minutes of the third, but Owen Sound was ahead 9-7 before the period was six minutes old.
Ethan Keleher and Shane Halliwell scored twice each for the Regals while single goals were added by Sam MacDonald, Carter McGrath, Josh Fairey and Mitchell Zulian. Goaltender Brady Wilson and Fairey each had three assists while Ethan Keleher had two and Lucas Hucal, Marcus Keleher, Kaz Nizielski, McGrath and MacDonald had one apiece.
Owen Sound received two goals apiece from Joel Coghlin, Brayden Krueger and Hayden Coulter and one each from Josh Hamill, Brody Caskenette, Brady Stewart and Noah Rouse. Mike Fiegehen had three assists, Dustin Lantz two and Dominic Millman, Luke Grimoldby, Kurt Smith, Carson Stevenson, Raiden Medwedyke, Krueger, Hamill and Caskenette one apiece.
Wilson made 33 saves in the Guelph net while Kaleb Martin had 38 saves for Owen Sound.
The result leaves the Regals at 0-3-1 and Owen Sound at 2-3-1.
The game was the first of three in four days for the Regals and also their third consecutive road game.
The Regals are to return to the Victoria Road arena for games against the Welland Generals (0-4-0) Friday at 8 p.m. and Windsor Clippers (4-1-1) Sunday at 3 p.m.
North Stars 10 Regals 8
Owen Sound 2-5-3–10
1. Guelph, Ethan Keleher (Brady Wilson), 0:33
2. Owen Sound, Josh Hamill (unassisted), 3:29
3. Guelph, Sam MacDonald (Josh Fairey, Brady Wilson), 12:09
4. Owen Sound, Brody Caskenette (Dominic Millman, Luke Grimoldby), 13:02
Penalties: Kaz Nizielski Gue (holding), 4:31; Gavin Lang Gue (illegal cross checking), 17:34.
5. Owen Sound, Joel Coghlin (Mike Fiegehen, Kurt Smith), 0:22
6. Guelph, Carter McGrath (Ethan Keleher), 1:36
7. Owen Sound, Brady Stewart (Mike Fiegehen), 2:00
8. Owen Sound, Brayden Krueger (Carson Stevenson), 2:08
9. Guelph, Ethan Keleher (Josh Fairey, Lucas Hucal), 4:54
10. Guelph, Josh Fairey (Ethan Keleher, Marcus Keleher), 5:15
11. Owen Sound, Noah Rouse (Dustin Lantz, Raiden Medwedyke), 6:10
12. Owen Sound, Hayden Coulter (Dustin Lantz, Brayden Krueger), 18:41
Penalties: Brody Caskenette OSnd (unsportsmanlike conduct), Carter TenEycke Gue (holding), 10:51; Mike Fiegehen OSnd (high sticking), 13:41.
13. Guelph, Shane Halliwell (Kaz Nizielski, Brady Wilson), 3:47
14. Guelph, Mitchell Zulian (Carter McGrath), 4:50
15. Owen Sound, Joel Coghlin (Josh Hamill), 5:21
16. Owen Sound, Hayden Coulter (Brody Caskenette, Mike Fiegehen), 5:42
17. Guelph, Shane Halliwell (Josh Fairey, Sam MacDonald), 12:18
18. Owen Sound, Brayden Krueger (unassisted), 17:00 sh
Penalties: Carter TenEycke Gue (holding), 8:10; Noah Rouse OSnd (high sticking), 8:30; Brady Stewart OSnd (slashing major, unsportsmanlike conduct, unsportsmanlike conduct misconduct, abuse of officials game misconduct), Marcus Keleher Gue (roughing), 13:05; Ethan Harkins Gue (too many men bench minor), 14:17.
Shots on Goal
Owen Sound 12-19-12–43
Goalies: Brady Wilson (L, 43 shots-33 saves), Guelph; Kaleb Martin (W, 46 shots-38 saves), Owen Sound.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 0-4; Owen Sound 0-3.
- Guelph Sports Journal