Regals toppled by Owen Sound for third consecutive loss
OWEN SOUND – Guelph Regals’ hopes of qualifying for the Ontario junior B lacrosse league’s playoffs took a hit Wednesday night when they were toppled 10-6 by the Owen Sound North Stars at the Bayshore Community Centre.
Guelph is 10th in the Western Conference and the top eight qualify for the playoffs. The Regals, who have lost three in a row and seven of their last eight games, have a 3-10-1 record with six games to play and they’re three points behind the St. Catharines Spartans (5-7-0) and Niagara Thunderhawks (5-8-0) who are tied for eighth.
Wednesday, the Regals scored twice in the first two and a half minutes of the game and led 4-3 at the end of the first period before Owen Sound surged ahead 6-4 by the end of the second.
Reed Kurtz had two goals and two assists for the Regals while Jayden Bushey also scored twice and Shane Halliwell and Mitch Zulian netted single goals. Halliwell and Liam Holwell each had two assists and Callyn Martin, Joel Hoogaars and Trenten Hitchcock had one each.
Quinton Maddock and Spencer Elder each struck for two goals and four assists for Owen Sound while Hayden Coulter and Brody Caskenette also scored twice each. Dustin Lantz and Brady Stewart added one goal apiece while Caskenette had two assists and Lantz and Alex Muzzell had one each.
The Regals were outshot 59-40 and went 1-for-2 on their power play while Owen Sound went 2-for-5.
Chris Wood took the loss in net for the Regals. He had 49 saves while winning goalkeeper Wes Hamilton of Owen Sound had 34 saves.
Of their final six games of the regular season, the Regals are to play five of them at the Victoria Road arena. They’re to host the Orangeville Northmen (8-4-0) Friday at 8 p.m. and play the Elora Mohawks (11-2-0) at the Elora and District Community Centre Sunday at 7 p.m.
North Stars 10 Regals 6
1. Guelph, Kurtz (Halliwell) 1:54
2. Guelph, Zulian (Holwell, Ca.Martin) 2:28
3. Owen Sound, Lantz (unassisted) 3:32
4. Owen Sound, Maddock (Caskenette) 9:11
5. Guelph, Bushey (Hoogaars, Hitchcock) 12:44
6. Owen Sound, Elder (unassisted) 13:11
7. Guelph, Kurtz (Halliwell, Holwell) 16:30 pp
Penalty: Swanton OS (high sticking), 16:17.
8. Owen Sound, Coulter (Elder, Maddock) 6:28 pp
9. Owen Sound, Caskenette (Elder, Maddock) 9:12 pp
10. Owen Sound, Coulter (Maddock, Elder) 11:17
Penalties: Commandant Gue (high sticking), 6:04; Burke Gue (checking from behind double minor), 7:35; Sanders Gue (too many men bench minor), 11:54.
11. Owen Sound, Stewart (unassisted) 0:27
12. Owen Sound, Elder (Lantz, Muzzell) 3:34
13. Guelph, Halliwell (Kurtz) 12:40
14. Owen Sound, Caskenette (Maddock) 14:59
15. Owen Sound, Maddock (Elder, Caskenette) 17:39
16. Guelph, Bushey (Kurtz) 17:46
Penalties: Burke Gue (illegal cross checking), 10:46; Millman OS (unsportsmanlike conduct bench minor), 12:31; Stewart OS (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), Ca.Martin Gue (fighting major, fighting game misconduct), 16:37; Caskenette OS (unsportsmanlike conduct), McGrath Gue (slashing), 18:53.
Shots on Goal
Owen Sound 15-27-17–59
Goalies: Wood (L, 59 shots-49 saves), Guelph; Hamilton (W, 40 shots-34 saves), Owen Sound.
Power Play (goals-chances): Guelph 1-2; Owen Sound 2-5.
- Guelph Sports Journal