Seven straight goals help Windsor club Regals
WINDSOR – The Guelph Regals surrendered seven consecutive goals on their way to a 19-7 loss to the Windsor Clippers in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play Saturday at the Forest Glade Arena.
That scoring spree by their hosts started less than a minute after the Regals had evened the score 1-1 before the game was five minutes old.
The Regals had 14 players for the game including goaltenders Brady Wilson and Tyson McCool. Wilson started and took the loss while McCool played the final 27 and a half minutes.
Windsor led 5-1 at the end of the first period and 15-5 after the second and the Clippers outshot Guelph 70-31.
Carsen Hebner picked up the win for the Clippers.
Windsor went 4-for-7 on its power play while the Regals went 1-for-3.
Liam Holwell had a hat trick for the Regals while A. J. Skirving scored twice and Zach Sanders and David Pavlinich added single goals. Kent Radbourne collected three assists while Jack Burke had two and Cole Cook, Holwell and Quenton Begin had one each.
Dylan Riley and Jake Rosa hit for four goals apiece for Windsor while Noah Bushnell had three, Brendon Wallace and league scoring leader Andrew Garant had two each and Andrew Clark, Alex Mayhead, Chase Kavanaugh and Nathan Salaris each had one. Garant assisted on eight of the goals while Bushnell and Kavanaugh had five assists apiece, Rosa had four, Craig Marentette had three, David Beckmann had two and Jonathan Jenkins, Austin Thompson, Jackman Schooley, Luke Cappetto, Austin Thompson, Wallace and Riley each had one.
The Regals fall to 2-12-0 with the loss while Windsor improves to 9-4-1.
The Regals have six games to go in their regular season, four at home. They’re to host the Point Edward Pacers (7-8-0) Wednesday at 8 p.m. at the Sleeman Centre.
Clippers 19 Regals 7
1. Windsor, Riley (Bushnell, Kavanaugh) 3:19
2. Guelph, Skirving (unassisted) 4:16
3. Windsor, Bushnell (Garant, Kavanaugh) 4:57 pp
4. Windsor, Bushnell (Rosa, Garant) 5:40
5. Windsor, Clark (unassisted) 6:52
6. Windsor, Riley (Marentette, Bushnell) 17:01
Penalty: Burke Gue (tripping), 4:36.
7. Windsor, Wallace (Rosa, Marentette) 0:08
8. Windsor, Mayhead (Marentette, Beckmann) 1:34
9. Windsor, Kavanaugh (Garant, Bushnell) 4:17 pp
10. Guelph, Holwell (Radbourne, Cook) 5:27
11. Windsor, Rosa (Jenkins) 6:54
12. Windsor, Wallace (Garant, Thompson) 7:04
13. Windsor, Riley (Bushnell, Garant) 8:35 pp
14. Windsor, Riley (Bushnell, Kavanaugh) 11:25
15. Guelph, Skirving (Holwell, Burke) 11:51
16. Windsor, Rosa (Schooley, Garant) 12:31
17. Windsor, Rosa (Beckmann, Cappetto) 14:35
18. Guelph, Sanders (Burke) 15:34
19. Windsor, Garant (Thompson, Rosa) 17:41
20. Guelph, Holwell (Radbourne) 19:10
Penalties: Skirving Gue (slashing), 3:21; Macdonald Wsr (slashing), 5:10; Hoogaars Gue (slashing), 7:59.
21. Guelph, Holwell (Begin, Radbourne) 1:32
22. Windsor, Rosa (Garant, Wallace) 2:04
23. Windsor, Salaris (Rosa, Kavanaugh) 3:49
24. Windsor, Bushnell (Garant) 5:28 pp
25. Windsor, Garant (Riley, Kavanaugh) 10:42
26. Guelph, Pavlinich (unassisted) 17:43 sh
Penalties: Skirving Gue (roughing), 2:25; Marentette Wsr (holding), 2:58; Cook Gue (slashing), 5:19; Garant Wsr (hooking), 7:12; Skirving Gue (slashing, fighting misconduct), Wallace Wsr (illegal cross checking), 15:30; Radbourne Gue (facemask major, roughing), 17:00.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Wilson (L, 41 shots-28 saves), McCool (12:31 of second, 29 shots-23 saves), Guelph; Hebner (W, 31 shots-24 saves), Windsor.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 1-3; Windsor 4-7.
- Guelph Sports Journal