Slow-starting Regals dropped by St. Catharines
ST. CATHAINES – Another slow start sank the Guelph Regals Friday night in a 13-6 loss to the St. Catharines Spartans in Ontario junior B lacrosse league play at the Merriton Lions arena.
For the third time in four games the Regals were held scoreless in the first period as the Spartans started on their way to their second victory of the season. St. Catharines led 4-0 at the end of the first and 9-3 after the second.
Callyn Martin, Jayden Bushey, Mitch Zulian, Shane Halliwell, Jean-Luc Vereecke and Tyler Dunk scored a goal apiece for the Regals while Halliwell, Reed Kurtz and Vereecke each had one assist.
Tyler Kolodka and Mario Caito each had three goals and two assists for St. Catharines while Alex Gaston fired home a pair of goals. Adam Kirchmayer, Jacob Edmands, Trent Jackson, John Kit and Aaron Ward added single goals while Connor Aquanno and Alex Hornung each had four assists, Edmands had three, Ward had two and Devon Spiers, former Regals goalie Tyson McCool, Peyton McIntosh, Blake Halliday and Gaston had one each.
The Regals were outshot 45-42 and were scoreless on six power plays while St. Catharines went 2-for-4 on its power plays.
Cole Martin was charged with the loss in the Guelph net while McCool, who had a 1-3-0 record in six games with the Regals last season, now has the same record in six games with St. Catharines this year.
With eight games to go in their regular season, the Regals are at 3-8-1 and are tied with the Owen Sound North Stars (3-6-1) for the eighth and final playoff berth in the West Conference. They’re a point behind the Niagara Thunderhawks (4-4-0) and two up on both the Spartans (2-6-0) and Point Edward Pacers (2-8-0).
Of the eight games left on their regular season, six are at home starting with a match against the Orangeville Northmen (5-3-0) May 27 at 7 p.m. at the West End arena.
Spartans 13 Regals 6
1. St. Catharines, Kolodka (Caito) 0:43
2. St. Catharines, Caito (Aquanno, Kolodka) 10:20 pp
3. St. Catharines, Kirchmayer (Hornung) 16:03
4. St. Catharines, Caito (Hornung) 16:50
Penalty: Burke Gue (tripping), 9:08.
5. St. Catharines, Edmands (Spiers, McCool) 0:36
6. Guelph, Ca.Martin (unassisted) 0:47
7. Guelph, Bushey (unassisted) 8:51
8. St. Catharines, Jackson (McIntosh) 8:57
9. St. Catharines, Gaston (Caito, Aquanno) 12:40
10. Guelph, Zulian (Halliwell) 12:59
11. St. Catharines, Kit (Halliday, Edmands) 17:27 sh
12. St. Catharines, Kolodka (Hornung, Aquanno) 19:12
Penalties: Jackson StC (high sticking), 8:51; Hornung StC (slashing), 16:42.
13. St. Catharines, Caito (Hornung, Aquanno) 1:26
14. Guelph, Halliwell (Kurtz, Vereecke) 1:40
15. St. Catharines, Ward (Edmands, Kolodka) 2:09
16. St. Catharines, Kolodka (Ward, Gaston) 5:21
17. Guelph, Vereecke (unassisted) 6:33 sh
18. St. Catharines, Gaston (Edmands, Ward) 13:00 pp
19. Guelph, Dunk (unassisted) 17:04 sh
Penalties: Spiers StC (interference), 3:39; Hitchcock Gue (high sticking), 5:01; Bench StC (too many men), Edmands StC (high sticking), 7:32; Pavlinich Gue (high sticking), 11:52; Sanders Gue (holding), 15:09; Caito StC (roughing), 19:01.
Shots on Goal
St. Catharines 18-18-9–45
Goalies: Co.Martin (L, 45 shots-32 saves); McCool (W, 42 shots-36 saves), St. Catharines.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Guelph 0-6; St. Catharines 2-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal