Storm pummels Windsor to secure home-ice in 1st round
GUELPH – The Guelph Storm struck for four consecutive goals in the second period on the way to an 11-3 whitewash of the Windsor Spitfires in Ontario Hockey League play Friday night at the Sleeman Centre.
The Gryphs led 3-1 at the end of the first period and extended that advantage to 7-1 by the end of the second.
Cedric Ralph had a hat trick for the Storm while Liam Hawel and MacKenzie Entwistle tallied twice apiece. Single goals were added by Isaac Ratcliffe, Dmitri Samorukov, Alexey Toropchenko and Nate Schnarr. Schnarr and Nick Suzuki had three assists apiece while Entwistle, Markus Phillips and Owen Lalonde had two each and Zachary Roberts, Toropchenko, Hawel, Nico Daws, Ralph, Ratcliffe and Zack Terry had one apiece.
Tyler Angle, Nathan Staios, Curtis Douglas and Dylan Robinson scored for Windsor. Jean-Luc Foudy collected two assists and Robinson, Chris Playfair, Thomas Stevenson, Luke Boka and Daniel D’Amico had one each.
Guelph outshot Windsor 46-31 and both teams were scoreless on two power plays.
Both winning goalie Daws and losing netminder Kari Piiroinen had 27 saves in the game. Piiroinen was replaced by Colton Incze fr the final 10 minutes of the game and he had eight saves.
The win guaranteed the Storm of home-ice advantage in the Western Conference quarter-finals. They’re fourth at 35-16-6-4 and can finish no lower than that. With seven games to go, they can mathematically catch the three teams above them – the London Knights at 42-12-6-1, Saginaw Spirit at 40-15-2-3 and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds at 39-15-6-4.
Windsor is eighth at 24-31-4-3.
Next up for the Storm is a match against the Kitchener Rangers (30-27-3-1) at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Sunday at 2 p.m. It could be a playoff preview as the Rangers are fifth in the conference.
Storm 11 Spitfires 4
1. Guelph, Hawel (Entwistle, Phillips), 3:13
2. Guelph, Ratcliffe (Schnarr, Suzuki), 11:23
3. Guelph, Ralph (Roberts, Lalonde), 11:44
4. Windsor, Angle (Foudy), 19:21
5. Guelph, Hawel (Toropchenko, Phillips), 9:01
6. Guelph, Samorukov (Suzuki, Schnarr), 9:29
7. Guelph, Entwistle (Lalonde, Hawel), 16:08
8. Guelph, Toropchenko (Entwistle, Daws), 19:07
Penalties: Schnarr Gue (hooking), 4:32; Schnarr Gue (delay of game), 13:18; Foudy Wsr (cross checking), 14:03.
9. Windsor, Staios (Foudy, Robinson), 5:24
10. Guelph, Schnarr (Suzuki), 6:38
11. Windsor, Douglas (Playfair, Stevenson), 7:31
12. Guelph, Entwistle (Ralph), 7:59
13. Guelph, Ralph (Ratcliffe, Schnarr), 16:05
14. Windsor, Robinson (Boka, D’Amico), 17:45
15. Guelph, Ralph (Terry), 18:57
Penalties: Purboo Wsr (high sticking), 10:10; Foudy Wsr (check from behind), 13:58.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Piiroinen (L, 49:50, 36 shots-27 saves), Incze (10:10, 10 shots-8 saves), Windsor; Daws (W, 31 shots-27 saves), Guelph.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Windsor 0-2; Guelph 0-2.
- Guelph Sports Journal