Thistles connect in second to upend Wilmot
FERGUS – The Fergus Thistles used a five-goal second period to slip by the Wilmot Wild 8-6 in Ontario junior C lacrosse league play Friday night at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex.
The second-period outburst by the hosts turned a 3-2 deficit at the end of the first period into a 7-3 lead at the end of the second.
Adam Lantz tallied twice for the Thistles while single goals were added by Kyle Deitweiler, Logan Cameron, McCaiden Dixon, Nick Aitchison, Trent Spear and Zach Cameron. Brett Harrison and Logan Cameron each had three assists while Aitchison and Zach Cameron had two apiece and Alex Bachly and Spear had one each.
Matt Wyman connected for two goals and two assists for Wilmot. Following with a goal apiece were Evan Girdler, Kent Radbourne, Luke Finoro and Tyler Verutis. Tyler Nagy and Verutis each had two assists while Radbourne had one.
The Thistles outshot the Wild 45-35 and both teams had two power-play goals, the Thistles getting theirs on four power plays while Wilmot had five power plays.
Noah Nixon picked up the win in net for the Thistles while Andrew Chenier was tagged with the loss for Wilmot.
The win lifts Fergus to 6-5-1 while the loss drops Wilmot to 7-3-0. The Thistles are to play the Six Nations Warriors (10-1-0) Saturday at 2 p.m. at Hagersville’s Iroquois Lacrosse Arena.
Thistles 8 Wild 6
1. Wilmot, Verutis (unassisted) 4:52
2. Fergus, Deitweiler (unassisted) 8:17
3. Wilmot, Finoro (Nagy) 8:27
4. Fergus, L.Cameron (Z.Cameron, Harrison) 11:53 pp
5. Wilmot, Wyman (Verutis) 15:04 pp
Penalties: Radbourne Wilm (delay of game), 2:59; Spear Ferg (slashing), 4:34; Girdler Wilm (too many men bench minor), 10:41; White Ferg (checking from behind double minor), 14:43.
6. Fergus, Lantz (Harrison, Aitchison) 1:39
7. Fergus, Dixon (L.Cameron, Bachly) 7:06 sh
8. Fergus, Spear (Aitchison) 14:54
9. Fergus, Lantz (L.Cameron, Harrison) 17:24 pp
10. Fergus, Aitchison (Z.Cameron) 18:26
Penalties: White Ferg (tripping), 5:28; Finoro Wilm (holding), 8:04; Lebold Wilm (holding), 17:03.
11. Wilmot, Girdler (Wyman, Nagy) 2:13
12. Wilmot, Wyman (Radbourne) 4:56
13. Fergus, Z.Cameron (Spear, L.Cameron) 5:22
14. Wilmot, Radbourne (Wyman, Verutis) 12:50 pp
Penalties: Ristov Ferg (cross checking), 11:36; Aitchison Ferg (roughing), Lebold Wilm (roughing), 15:58.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Chenier (L, 45 shots-37 saves), Wilmot; Nixon (W, 35 shots-29 saves), Fergus.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Wilmot 2-5; Fergus 2-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal