Thistles drop Bulldogs in playoff opener
FERGUS – The Fergus Thistles ran away with their Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League playoff opener as they dropped the Halton Hills Bulldogs 17-7 Monday night at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex.
It was the second win over Halton Hills in Fergus in four days as the Thistles had completed their regular season with a 16-8 win over the Bulldogs Friday night.
That result meant the teams would face each other in the best-of-three West Division quarter-finals as Fergus finished second at 11-5-0 and Halton Hills was seventh at 4-12-0.
Monday, Fergus led 5-2 at the end of the first period and 12-6 after the second. The Thistles went 2-for-3 on their power play and held Halton scoreless on three power plays.
Dean Sealey hit for a hat trick for the Thistles while Mitchell Bernier, Jayden Bushey, Brett Harrison and Trent Spear scored twice each. Single goals were netted by Cole Danneman, Mitchell Daw, Grae Fraser, Adam Lantz, Eli McLeod and Scott Stovel. Lantz and Spear each had five assists while Sealey had four, Bernier and Harrison had three each, Bo Columbus, Fraser and Stovel had two each and Bushey, Daw and McCaiden Dixon each had one.
Steven Portelli scored twice for Halton while Connor Houston, Tyler Morris, Neil Mowat, Evan Perehiniak and Hunter Randell scored once apiece. Assists were awarded to Morris, Portelli, Randell, Steven Spencer and goalies Sam Haines and Jordan Rowsell.
Bill Wilson picked up the win in net for Fergus while Rowsell was charged with the loss for Halton. Rowsell had three stints in net and Haines had two. Rowsell yielded 11 goals and Haines gave up six.
Second game of the series is set for Wednesday at 8 p.m. at Georgetown.
If a third game is needed, it’s to be played in Fergus Friday starting at 8 p.m.
Thistles 17 Bulldogs 7
1. Fergus, Spear (Harrison, Fraser) 1:32
2. Fergus, Fraser (Bernier, Sealey) 3:57
3. Fergus, Spear (Lantz, Stovel) 5:39
4. Fergus, Lantz (Bernier, Columbus) 11:56
5. Halton Hills, Portelli (Morris, Randell) 12:12
6. Halton Hills, Houston (Rowsell) 17:52
7. Fergus, Sealey (Lantz, Spear) 18:20
Penalty: Perehiniak Halt (slashing) 8:37.
8. Fergus, Danneman (Spear, Sealey) 4:44
9. Halton Hills, Mowat (unassisted) 5:52
10. Halton Hills, Perehiniak (unassisted) 6:03
11. Fergus, Bernier (Daw, Lantz) 7:01
12. Halton Hills, Portelli (Haines) 7:16
13. Fergus, Bernier (Columbus, Sealey) 8:47
14. Fergus, Bushey (Sealey) 10:39 sh
15. Fergus, McLeod (unassisted) 12:19
16. Halton Hills, Morris (unassisted) 12:55
17. Fergus, Stovel (Spear, Bernier) 15:01 pp
18. Fergus, Sealey (Harrison, Lantz) 16:37 pp
Penalties: L.Ristov Ferg (high sticking) 1:34; Hoegy Ferg (roughing), Portelli Halt (roughing) 3:25; Spear Ferg (tripping) 10:03; Portelli Halt (slashing major) 13:52.
19. Fergus, Sealey (Dixon, Spear) 2:00
20. Halton Hills, Randell (Spencer, Portelli) 7:06
21. Fergus, Daw (Stovel, Fraser) 9:07
22. Fergus, Bushey (Lantz, Harrison) 10:50
23. Fergus, Harrison (unassisted) 14:25
24. Fergus, Harrison (Spear, Bushey) 17:20
Penalty: Bushey Ferg (high sticking) 11:52.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Rowsell (L, 0:00 of 1st to 20:00 of 1st, 8:47 of 2nd to 14:17 of 2nd, 8:27 of 3rd to 20:00 of 3rd), Haines (0:00 of 2nd to 8:47 of 2nd, 14:17 of 2nd to 8:27 of 3rd), Halton Hills; Wilson (W), Fergus.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Halton Hills 0-3; Fergus 2-3.
- Guelph Sports Journal