Thistles fall behind in West semifinal with Wild
ELORA – Two goals in the final minute of the second period put the Wilmot Wild into a lead they wouldn’t give up in their 11-8 victory over the Fergus Thistles Friday night at the Elora and District Community Centre.
The win puts Wilmot ahead 2-0 in the best-of-five series.
Those goals 21 seconds apart put Wilmot up 6-5 and the Wild extended the gap to three goals with a pair of goals early in the third.
Wilmot led 2-1 at the end of the first period before Fergus took the lead early in the second, a period that saw the teams take turns scoring in two-goal spurts.
Zach Cameron hit for a pair of goals for Fergus while single goals were added by Trent Spear, Logan Cameron, Justin Beaulieu, Jacob Hayne, Nick Aitchison and McCaiden Dixon. Kyle Deitweiler assisted on three of the goals while Zach Cameron, Spear and Jonah White each had two assists and Logan Cameron, Beaulieu, Hayne and Jake Bauman had one apiece.
Tyler Verutis struck for four goals for Wilmot while Tyler Nagy and Luke Finoro had two apiece and Hayden Berger, Sam Dramnitzke and Kent Radbourne had one each. Berger collected three assists while Nagy, Dramnitzke, Radbourne and Ryan Smart each had two and Finoro had one.
The Thistles outshot the Wild 58-38 and went 1-for-7 on their power play while Wilmot went 2-for-6.
Andrew Chenier collected the win in net for the Wild while Noah Nixon took the loss for the Thistles. He was relieved by Tyson Reeves after Wilmot’s 10th goal and went the rest of the way, stopping all four shots fired his way. Wilmot’s 11th goal was a power-play goal scored into an empty net with 30 seconds to play.
Third game of the series is to be played at the Wilmot Recreation Centre in Baden Sunday at 3 p.m.
If Fergus wins that game, the fourth game is to go Wednesday at 8 p.m. at Elora.
Wild 11 Thistles 8
1. Wilmot, Radbourne (Berger) 5:02
2. Fergus, Aitchison (Z.Cameron, Spear) 6:17
3. Wilmot, Berger (unassisted) 19:21
Penalties: Z.Cameron Ferg (interference), 11:05; Borghese Wilm (holding), 13:25; Roberts Ferg (illegal cross checking, change box violation game misconduct), 14:33; Borghese Wilm (unsportsmanlike conduct), 15:25; Besse Wilm (interference), 20:00.
4. Fergus, Spear (Beaulieu, Z.Cameron) 2:51
5. Fergus, Z.Cameron (Hayne, Bauman) 3:57
6. Wilmot, Verutis (unassisted) 12:16
7. Wilmot, Finoro (unassisted) 16:15 sh
8. Fergus, Z.Cameron (White, Deitweiler) 16:21 pp
9. Fergus, Hayne (Deitweiler) 16:28
10. Wilmot, Verutis (Radbourne) 19:12
11. Wilmot, Dramnitzke (Smart, Berger) 19:33
Penalties: Z.Cameron Ferg (high sticking), Lebold Wilm (unnecessary roughness major), Besse Wilm (unsportsmanlike conduct misconduct), 4:39; Deitweiler Ferg (holding), 5:22; Dixon Ferg (slashing major), Hahn Wilm (slashing major), 12:20; Zister Wilm (interference), 15:15; Whitlow Wilm (roughing major), 16:31; Lantz Ferg (holding), 18:56; Besse Wilm (unsportsmanlike conduct), 18:58.
12. Wilmot, Nagy (Dramnitzke, Radbourne) 2:20 pp
13. Wilmot, Verutis (Nagy, Finoro) 3:44
14. Fergus, Beaulieu (Deitweiler) 4:44
15. Wilmot, Verutis (Smart, Dramnitzke) 6:58
16. Wilmot, Finoro (Berger, Nagy) 7:20
17. Fergus, L.Cameron (White) 11:01 sh
18. Fergus, Dixon (Spear, L.Cameron) 18:58 ea
19. Wilmot, Nagy (unassisted) 19:30 en pp
Penalties: Harrison Ferg (slashing), 2:07; Litt Ferg (high sticking), 10:27; Lantz Ferg (unsportsmanlike conduct bench minor), 19:17.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Chenier (W, 58 shots-50 saves), Wilmot; Nixon (L, 47:20, 33 shots-23 saves), Reeves (12:40, 4 shots-4 saves), Fergus.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Wilmot 2-6; Fergus 1-7.
- Guelph Sports Journal