Thistles nipped again as Whitby completes sweep of final

WHITBY – Shortly after Mike Andersson struck for the game’s final goal with just less than two and a half minutes to go in regulation time, the Whitby Warriors hoisted the Meredith Cup in victory.

That goal Sunday at Whitby’s McKinney rink gave the hosts an 11-10 victory over the Fergus Thistles and a four-game sweep of the Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League’s best-of-seven championship series.

All four victories for the Warriors, who went through the season undefeated, were by a single goal. Previously, the smallest margin of victory for Whitby this season had been two goals, an 8-6 win over the Clarington Shamrox in their season opener April 26. Every other win after that one until the East Division champion Warriors ran into the West Division champion Thistles had been by at least four goals.

Sunday, a five-goal streak that started late in the second period and finished early in the third turned a two-goal Fergus lead into a three-goal advantage for Whitby. However, the Thistles battled back with three consecutive goals to knot the score and set the stage for the winner.

Whitby led 3-2 at the end of the first period and 9-7 after the second.

Brodie Schafer and Nick Aitchison tallied three times apiece for the Thistles while Adam Lantz added a pair of goals and Sam MacDonald and Carter Hyndman scored once each. Cameron Angst had four assists while Aitchison had three, J.J. Swanston, Schafer, MacDonald and Alec Beaurogard had two each and Jake Bauman, Hyndman, Lantz and Alex Bachly had one apiece.

Mike Andersson’s winning goal was his third goal of the game for Whitby while Adam Smellie scored twice and single goals were netted by Matt Cornish, Devin Gilligan, Matt Andersson, David Cormack, Owen Agnew and Connor Platt. Matt Shand gathered seven assists while Mike Andersson had three, Matt Andersson and Gilligan had two apiece and Chris McDonald and Jake Edwards each had one.

Shots on net were not reported.

The Thistles went 4-for-11 on their power play while Whitby went 2-for-5.

Xavier DeMichele was in net for the Thistles while Adam Allman was between the pipes for Whitby.

The league title was the first for Whitby in their first trip to the final.

It was also the first time that Fergus was in the final while known as the Thistles. However, the Centre Wellington Warlords had been defeated in the 2008 and 2010 championship series.


Warriors 11 Thistles 10
Fergus     2-5-3–10
Whitby     3-6-2–11
Click here for complete boxscore
  • Guelph Sports Journal