Thistles nipped by Wild in OT to open West semifinal
BADEN – The Fergus Thistles yielded a goal in overtime as they dropped the opening game of their best-of-five Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League West Division semifinal 10-9 to the Wilmot Wild Monday night at the Wilmot Arena.
The game was a close one throughout with neither managing to build a lead of more than two goals. They were tied 1-1 at the end of the first period, 6-6 at the end of the second and 9-9 at the end of regulation time.
Hayden Berger’s goal at 2:33 of overtime gave Wilmot the win. Luke Finoro and Sam Dramnitzke assisted on the play.
Brett Harrison had a hat trick for the Thistles while Zach Cameron scored twice and single goals were added by Justin Beaulieu, Logan Cameron, Trent Spear and Kyle Deitweiler. Beaulieu had three assists while Logan Cameron and Spear had two each and Harrison, Zach Cameron, Adam Lantz, Carson Stevenson and J.J. Swanston had one apiece.
Sam Dramnitzke, Tyler Nagy, Kent Radbourne and Tyler Verutis fired home two goals apiece while Berger and Cody Hudson had one each for Wilmot. Dramnitzke set up three of the goals and Berger and Matt Wyman collected two assists apiece and Nagy, Radbourne, Verutis, Adam Zister, Luke Finoro, Randy Borghese, Hunter Schmitt and goaltender Andrew Chenier were each awarded one assist.
Wilmot outshot Fergus 68-62 and the Thistles went 2-for-5 on their power play and held the Wild scoreless on its two power plays.
Chenier picked up the win in the Wilmot net and he made 53 saves. Noah Nixon had 58 saves in the Fergus net, but was tagged with the loss.
Second game of the series is scheduled for Friday at 8 p.m. at the Elora and District Community Centre.
Wild 10 Thistles 9 (OT)
1. Fergus, Harrison (Z.Cameron, Beaulieu) 4:57 pp
2. Wilmot, Hudson (Nagy) 7:35
Penalties: Dramnitzke Wilm (illegal cross checking), 4:40; Litt Ferg (hooking), 10:01; McLeod Ferg (illegal cross checking), Kuntz Wilm (high sticking), 14:33.
3. Fergus, Deitweiler (L.Cameron) 1:01
4. Fergus, Harrison (Spear) 3:35
5. Wilmot, Radbourne (Berger, Verutis) 5:15
6. Wilmot, Dramnitzke (Matt Wyman, Hunter Schmitt) 5:34
7. Wilmot, Radbourne (unassisted) 7:29
8. Wilmot, Verutis (Dramnitzke) 8:26
9. Fergus, Z.Cameron (Harrison, Beaulieu) 9:13
10. Fergus, Spear (L.Cameron) 13:19 pp
11. Wilmot, Dramnitzke (Chenier, Zister) 16:20
12. Fergus, Z.Cameron (Spear, Swanston) 16:36
Penalties: Spear Ferg (slashing), 6:29; Stevenson Ferg (high sticking), Jibb Wilm (illegal cross checking), 10:51; Zister Wilm (high sticking), 13:09; Berger Wilm (checking from behind double minor), 18:02.
13. Wilmot, Verutis (Radbourne) 3:31
14. Fergus, L.Cameron (Lantz, Beaulieu) 5:19
15. Fergus, Beaulieu (Stevenson) 9:36
16. Wilmot, Nagy (Wyman, Borghese) 12:41
17. Wilmot, Nagy (Berger, Dramnitzke) 13:56
18. Fergus, Harrison (unassisted) 17:30
Penalties: Borghese Wilm (unsportsmanlike conduct), Stevenson Ferg (unsportsmanlike conduct), 3:22; Beaulieu Ferg (slashing), Schmitt Wilm (slashing), 6:52; Hawthorne Wilm (high sticking), Spear Ferg (high sticking), 15:25; Schmitt Wilm (high sticking), 18:34.
19. Wilmot, Berger (Finoro, Dramnitzke) 2:33
Penalties: Kuntz Wilm (slashing), Bachly Ferg (slashing), 4:16; Ristov Ferg (high sticking), 8:38.
Shots on Goal
Goalies: Nixon (L, 68 shots-58 saves), Fergus; Chenier (W, 62 shots-53 saves), Wilmot.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Fergus 2-5; Wilmot 0-2.
- Guelph Sports Journal