Thistles slip by Wilmot in series opener
FERGUS – One goal more per period proved to be the winning formula for the Fergus Thistles in their Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League West Division semifinal opener with the Wilmot Wild Tuesday night at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex.
The Thistles outscored the Wild by a goal each period to claim a 12-9 victory. The hosts led 5-4 at the end of the first period and 10-8 after the second.
The Wild had a quick start to the game, leading 3-1 by the five-minute mark of the first period, before the Thistles rallied. Fergus collected six of the seven goals scored from 16:52 of the first period and 11:21 of the second.
Trent Spear led the Thistles with a four-goal outing while Mitchell Bernier, Jayden Bushy and Dean Sealey scored twice each. McCaiden Dixon and J.J. Swanston also scored while Bushy had five assists, Sealey four, Dixon, Scott Stovel and Swanston three apiece, Adam Lantz two and Bernier and Spear one each.
Tyler Nagy scored Wilmot’s first three goals while Braiden Kerbs had a pair of goals and Marc Forster, Jordon Oshowy, Tyler Velutis and Matt Wyman had one each. Luke Finoro picked up four assists while Ryan Maksymyk and Velutis had two each and Forster, Kerbs, Nagy, Oshowy, Ryan Smart and Wyman had one each.
Bill Wilson picked up the win in net for Fergus while Reyd Fitton took the loss for Wilmot. Fitton replaced starter Andrew Chenier at 1:53 of the second after the seventh goal of the game for the Thistles.
Second game of the series is set for Thursday at 8 p.m. at the Wilmot Recreation Complex in Baden. Game 3 is to go Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex.
Thistles 12 Wilmot 9
1. Wilmot, Nagy (Maksymyk, Finoro) 0:48
2. Wilmot, Nagy (Velutis, Finoro) 2:16
3. Fergus, Spear (Sealey, Lantz) 3:54
4. Wilmot, Nagy (Finoro, Maksymyk) 4:59
5. Fergus, Sealey (Bushy, Dixon) 5:36
6. Fergus, Bushy (Spear, Dixon) 10:25
7. Wilmot, Velutis (Smart, Kerbs) 16:44
8. Fergus, Spear (Lantz) 16:52 ea
9. Fergus, Bernier (Swanston, Bushy) 19:55
Penalty: Dewbury Wil (slashing) 11:52.
10. Fergus, Dixon (Sealey, Bushy) 1:01
11. Fergus, Spear (Swanston, Stovel) 1:53
12. Wilmot, Wyman (Forster) 3:55
13. Fergus, Sealey (Stovel) 10:43
14. Fergus, Swanston (Bushy, Dixon) 11:21
15. Wilmot, Oshowy (Nagy, Finoro) 13:19
16. Wilmot, Kerbs (Wyman) 17:34
17. Wilmot, Forster (unassisted) 18:43
18. Fergus, Bernier (Bushy, Sealey) 19:22 pp
Penalties: Dixon Ferg (roughing), Borghese Wil (roughing) 14:01; Dixon Ferg (unsportsmanlike conduct), Kerbs Wil (unsportsmanlike conduct) 17:34; Besse Wil (roughing) 18:57; Kerbs Wil (delay of game) 19:52.
19. Fergus, Bushy (Stovel, Bernier) 0:26 pp
20. Fergus, Spear (Sealey, Swanston) 1:17
21. Wilmot, Kerbs (Velutis, Oshowy) 14:44
Penalties: Spear Ferg (slashing) 8:36; O.Ristov Ferg (checking from behind double minor) 9:06; Heughan Wil (illegal cross-checking) 15:42; L.Ristov Ferg (major) 19:32.
Shots on Net
Goalies: Chenier, Fitton (L, 1:53 of second), Wilmot; Wilson (W), Fergus.
Power Plays (goals-chances): Wilmot 0-4; Fergus 2-4.
- Guelph Sports Journal