Whitby claims another one-goal win over Fergus Thistles

FERGUS – Another game in the Ontario Junior C Lacrosse League’s Meredith Cup championship series and another victory by a single-goal margin for the Whitby Warriors.

Whitby struck for four consecutive goals in the third period including three in a row by Connor Platt to edge the Fergus Thistles 10-9 Wednesday night at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex. The win gives Whitby a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven final as the Warriors recorded their third straight one-goal win. They took the opener 8-7 at Fergus Friday night and the second game 7-6 at Whitby Sunday night.

Wednesday, Whitby led 3-1 at the end of the first period thanks to three goals in a span of just less than three minutes late in the period.

After the Thistles netted the opening goal of the middle frame, Whitby responded with another quick trio of goals, this one spanning 30 seconds to put the visitors up by four. After a timeout to settle down, the hosts battled back to surge ahead with six consecutive goals – five later in the period and the sixth one 69 seconds into the third.

The Warriors responded to that with their four-goal string in the third before the Thistles completed the scoring in the game with just less than four minutes to go.

Cameron Angst led the Thistles with three goals and three assists while J.J. Swanston collected two goals and two assists. The other goals were scored by Jake Bauman, Adam Lantz, Nick Aitchison and Brodie Rice while Aitchison had three assists, Brodie Schafer, Carter Hyndman and Lantz had two each and Sam MacDonald had one.

Platt finished the game with six goals and an assist while Mike Andersson tallied twice and John Wheller and Devin Gilligan added single goals. Matt Andersson and Matt Shand each gathered four assists while Gilligan had three and single assists were awarded to Julian Mosier, Owen Agnew, Matt Cornish, Adam Smellie and Mike Andersson.

Whitby outshot the Thistles 69-45 and went 2-for-4 on its power play while the Thistles went 1-for-3.

Xavier DeMichele made 59 saves in the Fergus net while Zack Hubbard had 36 saves for Whitby.

For the Thistles to get the series back to Fergus, they’ll have to do what no other team has been able to do this year and they’ll have to do it twice. Wednesday’s win was the ninth consecutive playoff victory for the Warriors and their 25th win in as many OJCLL outings this year.

Whitby hasn’t lost since July 30, 2018, when they were edged 12-11 by the Peterborough Lakers who completed a sweep of last year’s East Division final with that victory at Whitby.

The Thistles and Warriors are to play at Whitby’s McKinney arena Sunday at 4 p.m.

If Fergus wins that game, the fifth game of the final is to go in Whitby Tuesday starting at 8 p.m.

If a sixth game is needed, it’s to be played Aug. 16 at the Centre Wellington Sportsplex. Game time is 8 p.m.

If the Thistles win three in a row, the series-deciding seventh game is scheduled for Aug. 17 at Whitby beginning at 8 p.m.


Warriors 10 Thistles 9
Whitby     3-3-4–10
Fergus       1-6-2–9
Click here for complete boxscore
  • Guelph Sports Journal